Plaster Corruption?

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Gavin Wills
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: verification was 100% wrong it asked me is there a P
in pH but it is clearly not a P it is a p. The 2nd one asked me the colour of a nice clean pool, I was wrong again! there are many different colors it could be.A black epoxy coating will change from dark blue to greeny blue to bluey gray greeny gray ect it all depends on the colour of the sky and the angle you look at it. anyway I'll get the next one right, I will just be a robot and answer the way I am supposed too

Plaster Corruption?

Postby Gavin Wills » Tue 08 Dec, 2009 18:41

Mr Pool User the 30' long 1/2" reo we use in Australia is annealed / softened you can bend a 2' length around your knee. how else would you be able to bend it around a pool with tight curves.toughend steel bs GW from Australia.

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Plaster Corruption?

Postby czechmate » Tue 08 Dec, 2009 19:17

Gavin Wills wrote:Mr Pool User the 30' long 1/2" reo we use in Australia is annealed / softened you can bend a 2' length around your knee. how else would you be able to bend it around a pool with tight curves.toughend steel bs GW from Australia.

Mr.Wills, with all the respect to your extensive experience in pool building, we do not import your Australian rebar to build our pools here, in the US.
Quite on the contrary, we use the rebar made here.
It is the same as the rebar we use in commercial buildings for floors, walls columns, highway roads etc.
Also, around here we use hand tools to bend this hardened steel. Works like a charm and you can use it with a bare knees and shorts in the hot summer!
It is called the "hickey". Comes with a rigid pipe handle, about 4 1/2feet long and is used by electricians to make a sweep bends on their rigid pipe.
Therefore it comes in different sizes to fit on different O.D. pipe.
You see, the only thing we bend around our knees is maybe a little kid once a while.
Knees are complicated things, as you well know and designed for different purpose than bending steel for living.
So Mr. Wills, you are certainly quite welcome to open to us your well of wisdom.
Just take in consideration where the particular question is coming from.
Otherwise you may be just waisting your time, or worse, putting yourself in light you might not much appreciate later.
patricks pools

Plaster Corruption?

Postby patricks pools » Wed 09 Dec, 2009 14:14

Just to clear something up here....I have cut rebar inside a gunite pool with both a diamond core drill bit and also with a diamond blade on a gas saw. It takes a while and a lot of water but it does work.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Plaster Corruption?

Postby czechmate » Wed 09 Dec, 2009 16:55

Core bits are designed for reinforced concrete. The rig provides cooling and removes slush with continuos stream of fresh water. Diamond blades as known in construction industry, are designed for concrete, stone and ceramics. Abrasive disks designed for cutting metals do not have any diamond properties in general at all.
I have used both for last 40 years. Some core bits in 6" O.D. for electrical service conduits through the building foundation.
Gavin Wills
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: verification was 100% wrong it asked me is there a P
in pH but it is clearly not a P it is a p. The 2nd one asked me the colour of a nice clean pool, I was wrong again! there are many different colors it could be.A black epoxy coating will change from dark blue to greeny blue to bluey gray greeny gray ect it all depends on the colour of the sky and the angle you look at it. anyway I'll get the next one right, I will just be a robot and answer the way I am supposed too

Plaster Corruption?

Postby Gavin Wills » Sat 12 Dec, 2009 17:28

$100 4'' diamond blades, I wouldn't use one to cut reo if they cost that much either, I do remember that in 1980 I bought my first db for $25 and i thought that was a ripoff but when it just kept cutting and cutting, bargain.
Today we can buy 100mm blades for $15/$20 that can cut about the same 15/20 12mm deformed bar.Talking about cutting steel with diamond blades.Most renovations on the old big pools we cut of the tops to concrete in a wet deck gutter. we use wet 450mm quickcuts,like a chainsaw,to cut 100 lineal metres,with one blade we cut through 12mm reo every 200mm, so that is alot of reo but those blades cost $350. regards GW
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Plaster Corruption?

Postby czechmate » Sat 12 Dec, 2009 23:13

Gavin Wills wrote:Sorry asie, you don't known do you,Lesson # 1 you think when I diamond core drill to put new bigger 100mm
FWR lines through the walls of olympic pools I miss the steel NO! do you think when i core drill to put any fittings in any concrete you can miss the steel NO! starterblocks backstroke and false start markers, do you know how many holes you core drill renovating a 40 year old olympic 10 laner NO! well Last month when I drilled 26x 50mm x 150 deep core holes every one of them cut through the 12mm reo.So diamond saw blades do cut steel very well.And yes they are used to cut tiles,but our tile blades are continuous rim blades not segmented that we use to cut out reo. You you have any other problems let me know GW from Australia

Come on. Give the guy a break.
You confusing diamond core bit with a diamond saw here.
Other than that I am sure everybody is enjoying stories from down under!

BTW, when the words you typing coming underlined with red,
it usually means they are not in the dictionary. :wink:
CB

Plaster Corruption?

Postby CB » Wed 17 Feb, 2010 14:05

I have a swimming pool that is 3 years old. We have rust showing up in the plaster about 3" long in a diamond shape about 1' below the water surface on the side of the pool. This must be the rebar bleeding through? If so, should we be concerned? What should be done? If we do, nothing what will happen?
The pool contractor we used won't take my calls.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”