Welcome aboard

Introduce yourself and let us know who you are.
We are happy to have you here!
Gavin Wills
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: verification was 100% wrong it asked me is there a P
in pH but it is clearly not a P it is a p. The 2nd one asked me the colour of a nice clean pool, I was wrong again! there are many different colors it could be.A black epoxy coating will change from dark blue to greeny blue to bluey gray greeny gray ect it all depends on the colour of the sky and the angle you look at it. anyway I'll get the next one right, I will just be a robot and answer the way I am supposed too

Welcome aboard

Postby Gavin Wills » Tue 15 Dec, 2009 01:39

I have now seen youtube videos of gunnite, it is dry sand,cement and gravel,pushed all the way down the line with air and only water mixed at the nossle. Sprayed concrete comes in the truck wet is wet all the way to the pool,retainingwall ,water tank, fish pond, with only air at the nossle GW

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Welcome aboard

Postby czechmate » Tue 15 Dec, 2009 10:14

Gunite if properly mixed and applied has 6000-7000 PSI, about double of poured concrete.
The density of a finished cured product is far superior to conventional application.
Moisture trapped in the wet mix has to evaporate and get out during the curing process and will present voids, not readily visible to the eye.
There is a concrete tile on the market for a large paved surfaces and when you picked it up you feel the difference. When you start cutting one it moves slow under granite rated blade.
The cut side looks as if polished stone due to its density.
As always, the results in the individual pool application directly depends on the men, equipment and experience.
I have never seen any crew to shovel rebound out of the pool as it should be.
It is common practice to pack it in the pool steps and overshoot with a final layer.
As long, as the floor below was shot first it will not present a problem so it is widely accepted shortcut to circumvent messy removal from the property.
Some layman jokers in forums sometimes try to deny the advantages of a gunite, with the argument that it is not used in powerhouse dam building.
Anyone, who spend any time in construction and has even slight clue about concrete pour in such a vast application has only grin for answer.
BTW, it is the only material frequently reapplied at the rocket launching pad on the Kennedy's Cap Canaveral.
(The only substance that will not melt, but only crystallize. So there must be something good about it).
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Welcome aboard

Postby czechmate » Tue 15 Dec, 2009 20:18

Somehow I have forgot to mention one important thing about newly shot gunite.
It is the importance of spraying the new surface with water several times a day, thus allowing more natural and slower curing of concrete. It is specially necessary during hot summer weather in the South.
It may seem like a nuisance do it for a whole week, but it will pay of in the long run.

Return to “Welcome Aboard”