Strange pump motor problem

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
JohnSWA
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JohnSWA » Wed 30 Dec, 2009 19:05

Ausie wrote:
Gavin R Wills wrote:Sorry all, :lol: it's the bearings you do!

So how come motor is running just fine when taken of the pump, Mr. Dundee? :crazy:

Yup! That's what has me stumped. I'll just bite the bullet and have a pro come out. I'm just hoping for an ethical and honest technician. Wish me luck and I'll tell ya what the fix is.

poolpumpguy

Postby poolpumpguy » Thu 31 Dec, 2009 13:50

First check power at the motor with motor running :?: check to see what voltage the motor is set for :!: is it the same ? if not clean timer points or replace breaker .. or it could be the start switch start or run capacitor if they look puffy or leaking this may be the problem.WAS the motor noisy ?. need more help ? send me a few pictures of your pump and motor ,one from 3 feet back the whole pump .. MOTORWIZJ .. BUT FIRST CHECK THE POWER WITH A METER !! good luck and be careful !.. you do this POWER TESTING at your own risk !Jay
:thumbup: NOT ALL PUMP AND MOTORS ARE THE SAME :thumbup:
JohnSWA
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JohnSWA » Fri 01 Jan, 2010 15:14

Hi guys!

First, I'd just like to thank you all for your help with my problem. It appears that my problem with the pool/spa swap was just that I had the motor on too tight! It was driving me crazy r/r'ing this motor in such a tight area, but I finally just used my head and turned the pump on prior to tightening the bolts and it ran fine. I snugged the bolts and it still ran fine. I torqued the bolts and it just hummed. I backed of the nuts a smidge and it ran like a top!

Now for the broke motor. I found a bad shaft seal and a very corroded run capacitor. I noticed when it was in it's humming mode the start capacitor was very hot. I swapped the bad run capacitor with a new one and it still didn't run. I also found out that I was incorrect about the motor working for a few seconds and then shutting down as originally thought. It was actually the blower moter that worked for a few seconds and then tripped the breaker to the spa.

I'm thinking that I would be just better off to replace the motor/shaft seal/ceramic seal and see what that does. Whatcha think?

Again, thanks for all of your help and Happy New Year!!!
JohnSWA
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JohnSWA » Fri 01 Jan, 2010 15:18

Oh, one other thing. I checked voltage to both pumps. 120 volts from breaker to motor. I couldn't get to the spa (bad) motor in time to see if it was getting all 120 volts, but I'm thinking it's toast anyway.

One note: I bought a cheap Harbor Freight volt meter and the flippin thing didn't work. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I was'nt getting voltage to anything! I had to fix the voltmeter to make it work, but now it works fine.

Remember Rosanne Roseannadana? "If it's not one thing, it's another!" 'Gilda Radner' from the original SNL
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Fri 01 Jan, 2010 23:58

JohnSWA wrote:It appears that my problem with the pool/spa swap was just that I had the motor on too tight!

Well, seems to me that is what I meant when I suggested to you to use a spacer washers to relieve the pressure on impeller. :wave:
Of course Mr. Gavin called me a dork and said it was a bearings!
Pchina

Postby Pchina » Mon 12 Mar, 2012 21:51

Just put the second motor on timed on the switch it started smoking
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Fri 16 Mar, 2012 19:32

Pchina wrote:Just put the second motor on timed on the switch it started smoking

Look Mister,
do not expect much help here, if you yourself are chronically lazy to write 3-4 sentences to describe your problem.
Basic courtesy starts with respecting the free help you getting here.
So grow up. This is not a high school. :wave:

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”