air bubbles in return line and noisy motor.

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
jayP

Postby jayP » Mon 04 Jan, 2010 09:39

I have an inground vinyl pool. Recently I have noticed air bubbles in the return lines and the motor has become increasinly louder as if straining.

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Mon 04 Jan, 2010 14:41

Has the filter pressure decreased and is there air in the pump basket? If so, there may be suction side restriction of some sort. Usually debris in the lines that is stuck. Did this happen after vacuuming? Also, check valve settings to make sure there isn't a line closed off somewhere.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
jayp

Postby jayp » Tue 05 Jan, 2010 07:50

filter pressure is good, however there is air in the basket. no lines are closed.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Tue 05 Jan, 2010 12:30

It sounds like a leak or blockage on the suction line. The increased sound is the impeller cavitating with the air/ water mixture.

Can you do a visual inspection of the suction line and pump basket cover? With the pump off and the valves open, look for drips or wet areas that could indicate a leak. The leak could be tiny, but under pressure can allow quite a bit of air into the system.

Larry

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”