P H keeps going up

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
telcoeddie
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 13,000 Gal, Plaster with blue 3M color, Jandy equipment including Salt System and DT Filter. 12 Ft avg width and 36 Ft long

P H keeps going up

Postby telcoeddie » Wed 03 Feb, 2010 20:54

My P H stays at 7.6 and rises. I have added 2.75 Gal of Acid in the last 45 days and it still never gets to 7.2.
The Acid is 17% active, my pool stats are as follows: 13,000 gallon, 4 years old, Blue 3M Plaster, Salt System at 3.2 ppm, PH 7.6, FC 3.4, TC 0, ALK 70, Calcium Hardness 270, and Stabilizer is O K. Pool is always clear and no burning when swimming. Is it normal for that much acid in 45 days and not have the PH lower? Is this a drawback to a salt pool? I just had the pool acid washed a few months ago because I let the PH stay too high and had bad calcium spots on the pool.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

P H keeps going up

Postby chem geek » Wed 03 Feb, 2010 22:03

You may still be having calcium carbonate dissolving from the acid wash and that would cause the pH to rise. Also, SWG pools do tend to have the pH rise, though that can be minimized through a combination of keeping the TA low (usually 70 ppm), the CYA higher (usually 80 ppm) along with an FC target of 4 ppm, and the use of 50 ppm Borates as an additional pH buffer and a target pH of 7.7 (i.e. don't try and lower it below 7.5). Read Water Balance for SWGs for more info.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”