Unable to access forum from Comcast

Problems relating to the Pool Help Forum website and general forum help.
Suggestions and criticisms that would improve your web experience.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:26

I am still unable to access this website via Comcast cable at home (from San Rafael, CA) unless I use VPN to work. I can access it from work as well so the problem appears to be with Comcast and started occurring after your rehosting. I've called them and done things such as clear DNS caches, cookies, etc. but still can't get Comcast to see this website, even if I use the IP address directly (206.214.220.69).

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:45

Hi Richard and my apologies

I have been in touch with the new hosting company and hope they are able to determine the reason for this problem, and have it sorted out quickly. I know you initially had a problem from January 19 but you reported it as solved on January 21.

When did you start having the problem again? What error message do you get? (404, 403, 500, ...)

Have you tried visiting http://www.havuz.org or http://www.pool-help.com and were they accessible via Comcast? If either of these are getting through then the problem may be with the forum's software or security setup.

I will keep you updated

Larry
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 12 Feb, 2010 12:39

I sent you a PM with details. The problem started about the same time you were moving hosting services. The message is a Server Not Found or the equivalent Comcast Domain Helper page. None of the alternatives you gave work either. I've gone through deleting the local DNS cache on my computer, clearing cookies, etc. but nothing is getting this to work. I contacted Comcast once already, but they didn't help and I'll have to contact them again.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Fri 19 Mar, 2010 04:23

This problem has finally been solved. It appears to have been a combination of server misconfiguration and Comcast's over-eagerness to redirect pages or sites with errors to its own content or through a monetized service.

This issue was not reported by any other users and only affected those computers that were using Comcast's DNS service. OpenDNS (my favorite) and similar services never presented this problem even with a Comcast connection.

I apologise for the time it took to get this one solved.

Larry

Return to “Problems & Suggestions for this Forum”