Will Cavitation Damge my Pump?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Noggin
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Noggin » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 18:59

Warning: I'm a pool noob, so some idiocy may follow...

I spent a good part of the day replacing my booster pump. It was making a painfully loud squeal as it ran, so I assume it was the bearings. Local pool service company said that you can't rebuild the motor/pump I have (probably BS) but offered to install a new one for $550. So I said fuggit and replaced it myself.

After replacing the booster pump, I spent a few hours trying to figure out why my polaris creepy didn't work worth a damn. Wheels turned at about 8 RPM and I think should be 30 RPM and the tail didn't move. After a while, I finally figured out the quick disconnect and discovered that the filter there was slap full of silt and sand. Cleaned it out and now my creepy is super happy and my dog loves chasing it around the edge of the pool.

Once I got done working on all of that, I decided that my main pump is cavitating. It sounds like it chewing on rocks and I'm getting tiny air bubbles from the outlet in the pool. Am I going to hurt anything waiting until next weekend to try to work on it? I've posted a sound clip here. I'm almost out of daylight.

Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Postby Pool Clown » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 08:45

Do you have an attached spa? Try putting the valves to spa (like you were going to use it) and see if that changes the cav.
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
Noggin
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Noggin » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 21:09

no spa
Noggin
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Noggin » Sun 28 Feb, 2010 14:20

Still don't know if cavitation will damage a pump, but luckily the problem was easily remedied. The filter basket in the pump was largely clogged even though I couldn't see anything through the viewing bubble. Cleaned it out and the pump is quiet and I have pressure again.
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Pool Clown » Sun 28 Feb, 2010 22:28

Oops, missed that one! Great news.
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
starkraven

Postby starkraven » Sat 08 Jun, 2013 14:51

I've been told that cavitation is normal when your pump wants more water than your inlets supply. It occurs when I'm vacuuming. The pump basket never quite fills although I've got good suction in vacuuming. Once I'm through vacuuming and circulation returns to normal, the sight basket fills and everything's fine. I don't know if extended cavitation will harm the pump. i hope not.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 04:32

When you are vacuuming you put an extra load on the suction and if your pump basket has air in it, it's sucking in air. It could be the pump basket lid "O" ring or even your hose. Try using silicon grease on the "O" ring first
I have experienced the filter working OK untill the suction is connected and then the pump basket drains out completely. Replacing and greasing the "O" ring cured it

However if you can vacuum OK you probably won't bother yet but bear in mind as a remedy for future problems
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 14:51

Cavitation will slowly destroy an impeller with pitting but it takes a while. But don't mistake air in the pump basket for cavitation because they are two different things although they sometimes occur together.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Pool Clown » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:21

This particular cavitation is occurring because you are:
1) extending the length of the suction line (the length of the vac hose).
2) that extra length is also a smaller diameter. Even though it is a 1 1/2, it is a vacuum hose which is actually smaller diameter than 1 1/2".

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”