DE on pool floor from return line

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts

Postby Guest » Wed 10 Mar, 2010 00:09

I have been having an issue with DE on the pool floor seemingly shooting out from the return lines. I was told that it was likely due to my filter grids being old and needing replacement. Some were in bad shape so I replaced all eight of the filter grids, however, the problem persists. Any suggestions? I'm not sure I've provided enough detail so please ask any questions...Thank you for any feedback you provide.

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Wed 10 Mar, 2010 08:52

Pool User wrote:I have been having an issue with DE on the pool floor seemingly shooting out from the return lines. I was told that it was likely due to my filter grids being old and needing replacement. Some were in bad shape so I replaced all eight of the filter grids, however, the problem persists. Any suggestions? I'm not sure I've provided enough detail so please ask any questions...Thank you for any feedback you provide.

Hi,

I would check the manifold (plastic piece that the grids plug into) for cracks or holes. When you take the filter apart look for any openings that would allow DE to pass through. During normal operation water travels from the outside of the grids, through the grids and into the manifold. Also make sure the grids are all fully seated into the manifold.

Hopes this helps.

Postby Guest » Wed 10 Mar, 2010 20:03

Thanks a lot__I'll take a look. I guess I have another project for this weekend...
mike45

Postby mike45 » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 19:35

did you put soda ash in directly to skimmer after installing new filters?
Red Ryder

Postby Red Ryder » Sat 10 Apr, 2010 17:08

Why soda ash?
mike45

Postby mike45 » Tue 13 Apr, 2010 16:47

it coats the catridges so they work properly
mikey mikey

Postby mikey mikey » Tue 13 Apr, 2010 20:14

mike45 wrote:it coats the catridges so they work properly

Slow down, Mike. You are sleepwalking. :wtf:
dennismcbride

Postby dennismcbride » Mon 24 May, 2010 21:49

how much soda ash for 48in vertical american titan
sentinelhammer

Postby sentinelhammer » Thu 16 Aug, 2012 13:01

After checking the grids and manifold for leaks, also check the O-ring on return pipe and air release screen inside of filter. I found out after checking all these that my problem was in the multi-port valve. The spider ring gasket was worn. I am now back in business and after vacuuming the pool it is sparkling again. Hope this helped?

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”