Bleach affecting grids?

A BBB guide to supermarket poolcare.
Use store-bought bleach, baking soda
and borax to replace proprietary pool chemicals.
ntolght
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Kidney Shape 12000 gallon fiberglass ig with Hayward DE 3600 Micro Clear filter 2hp Max Flo pump

Bleach affecting grids?

Postby ntolght » Sat 13 Mar, 2010 19:39

I am new to this forum so if i get it wrong please bare with me. My question is about the grids in my de filter. I switched over to the BBB method last year after I came across this forum and was very pleased that i kept my pool sparkling all summer but when I started up today to get my pool up and running I noticed that the grids in the filter have broken. The mesh or fabric is in tack but every grid has breaks in them, can this be due to the bleach or did I just get a bad set of grids, I replaced them in 2008 and the ones I had before lasted eight summers. Thanks for your help.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Bleach affecting grids?

Postby chem geek » Mon 15 Mar, 2010 01:24

Unless you poured the bleach through the skimmer, which is something you should not normally do, then the chlorine in the pool is identical to that from any other source so would not be the cause of your DE filter problem. I also assume you have some CYA in the water which would significantly moderate chlorine's strength.

Return to “BBB Pool Care”