Pump Size?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
thasatelliteguy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Maybe an above ground

Pump Size?

Postby thasatelliteguy » Sun 14 Mar, 2010 20:08

I am about to buy an above ground pool. Never had a pool before. I am looking at a 24'X52''. My ex-brotherinlaw had bought a pool similar to it, and it was using chemicals at a rediculous rate. A pool expert here in the South Houston area told him that his pump was not big enough, and that it was common with pool kits. He bought a bigger pump from eBay, and the problem was solved. I dont talk to him, so I dont have anymore info than that.

Based on my pool of 24' X 52'', how big of a pump do I need to make sure I don't fall into the same trap right from the start? I already am having to learn on the fly, (as I assume most pool owners do) I don't want to be fighting inadequate equipment too! Thanks!

MARKAFN
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 16 FOOT ULTRA FRAME POOL

Pump Size?

Postby MARKAFN » Wed 31 Mar, 2010 02:05

You should get a pump with the pool , but i find that the pumps are underpowered and cheap , i brought a larger pump and it helped..it dont matter what size you get it wont hurt the pool.. all it will do is take the water and clean the water quicker , but be carefull if its a above ground pool dont get a huge pump that will put presure on the inlet and out let valves.

Pump Size?

Postby Guest » Wed 31 Mar, 2010 04:07

A 1 hp pump will be plenty, provided the plumbing lines can take the pressure (1.5"). This will give a turnover rate of 3.3 hours. A 0.75hp pump will do too, with a turnover rate of 5 hours.
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Pump Size?

Postby lbridges » Wed 31 Mar, 2010 21:00

Too small a pump and the job never gets done. Too big a pump and you spend too much on electricity and shorten the life of the pump. Running the water slower through a filter allows the filter to do its job a little better.

For a pool between 14 & 15K gallons and 1-1/2" pipe I would think you would be best served by a quality brand-name 1/2-hp pump. I like Pentair as a brand, but others have their own likes/dislikes I'm sure.

I offer you should shoot for a run time of 8 or 9 hours a day at around 30 gpm. But don't take my word for it, do a google search on pool pump sizing, run the numbers yourself.

Pump Size?

Postby Guest » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 00:51

you should shoot for a run time of 8 or 9 hours a day at around 30 gpm

so you are recommending filtering the water one cycle per day?
30gpmx60min.x8hours=14,400gal.
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Pump Size?

Postby lbridges » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 13:31

so you are recommending filtering the water one cycle per day? 30gpmx60min.x8hours=14,400gal.

Yes, that works in my area, but as I also said, the OP should run numbers unique to the site/size/etc.
maxine
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: im a 25 years old, i am and adventurous person, i like to go some places that i never been before, me and my friend are fond to swim, we have a swimming pool at our own home and we always travel in different places.

Pump Size?

Postby maxine » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 05:32

hi,

i need some help, my pool cover pumps does not working well. can you give so best store for pool supplies to buy new one...

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”