Pool gets like milk for 5 minutes and clears every hour

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
mauruz
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 17X30, around 20,000 gallons
vinyl, Hayward sand filter

Postby mauruz » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 08:44

FC: 5
TC: 5
pH: 7.6
TA: 140
CH: 220
CYA: 50
salt level : 4000

My pool: 20 K gal vinyl
Pool chemicals: shock, calcium hardness, algaecide, salt, ph up, estabilizer and alkalinity
My pump & filter: hayward sand filter

My water gets white for at least 5 minutes when the returns are sending something like a white powder, then after 5 minutes the pool gets clear but again after an hour the returns start sending the white powder then the pool looks like milk and then it clears.

thanks,
Attachments
DSC06213a.JPG
This is how it looks and then it cleans
DSC06213a.JPG (63.96 KiB) Viewed 5635 times
DSC06219b.JPG
This is what the return is sending
DSC06219b.JPG (91.45 KiB) Viewed 5640 times

Postby Guest » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 10:57

The following chemicals can cause the milky "dust cloud" you are describing:
>> ph up, cal hypo (shock chlorine), hardness increaser.

the returns are sending something like a white powder, then after 5 minutes the pool gets clear

If the pool clears in 5 minutes with no sedimentation on the pool floor then the problem is air. I see you filling the pool so it could be the skimmers are causing a whirlpool and sucking air every hour or so. There may be tiny leaks on the suction line that are filling the filter with air up to the point it discharges some of it back into the pool.
mike45

Postby mike45 » Sat 03 Apr, 2010 12:38

i agree with the comment above the only thing i could think of is backwash sand filter if you can see actual backwash look to see if it looks gray it may be time for new sand
KGH

Postby KGH » Fri 04 Jun, 2010 20:34

My returns are doing the exact same thing, just not on an hourly cycle as described. They do it from time to time and always when I try to vacuum. Pool has not gotten completely clear all season. I have already changed the sand in my filter this season. Return problem was same before and after the sand change. Also just had pressure checked in return lines and pool company claims there were no leaks. Anyone know what is causing this and how to fix?
xirishis7x

Postby xirishis7x » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 12:50

Ever get a solution to this problem. We have the exact same thing. There is no sediment in the pool.

mauruz wrote:FC: 5
TC: 5
pH: 7.6
TA: 140
CH: 220
CYA: 50
salt level : 4000

My pool: 20 K gal vinyl
Pool chemicals: shock, calcium hardness, algaecide, salt, ph up, estabilizer and alkalinity
My pump & filter: hayward sand filter

My water gets white for at least 5 minutes when the returns are sending something like a white powder, then after 5 minutes the pool gets clear but again after an hour the returns start sending the white powder then the pool looks like milk and then it clears.

thanks,
poolking25

Postby poolking25 » Mon 11 Oct, 2010 09:15

This is most likely your salt chlorinator cell interacting with copper algacide. I have this problem as well after trating the pool for algae. Funky metalic smell as well.
swimfit
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby swimfit » Thu 23 Dec, 2010 04:42

It probably is caused by the air that's sucked in. As you've clearly mentioned that the milkiness doesn't stay and gets cleared up in an hour.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”