Frogs Enjoy My Pool

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: 16 X 32 Blue Dolphin IG fiberglass, about 15K gallons. 1.5Hp Hayward pump, 3inch puck style Hayward cholrinator, 100 sq. ft. pleated cartridge filter. Jandy Valve controls and diverter for solar heating panels (three 4 X 10 panels on an elevated pressure treated wood rack).

Frogs Enjoy My Pool

Postby HowardWalker » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 13:07

My neighbor has a small fish pond with a waterfall and Koi. The sound of the falling water initially attracts the frogs from our shared wet weather stream. Soon, however, the frogs begin their trek from his fish pond to my pool. I often have several dozen in a single night - all "singing" their mating song. It resonates off the pool walls and can be quite loud.

I try to rescue them from the fate of chlorine exposure and the surface skimmer, placing them in a 5 gallon bucket and returning them to the stream. But I am sure some return for their unintentional demise.

I often find their dead and bloated bodies in the skimmer basket the next morning...ugh! :crazy:

I suppose it is Mother Natures way of "thinning the herd." I am unable to combat this, so I have resolved myself to live with it.

I have considered putting in some fine mesh wire under my alternate board pool fence to keep the varmints out, but have not yet gone to this extreme. Has anyone had success trying this?

Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Re: Frogs Enjoy My Pool

Postby paulbest » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 22:51

One of the most common pests you will find hanging in and around your pool are frogs. There is just something about a nice, large, refreshing pool that attracts frogs from all over. Of course, what ends up happening is you must continually remove dead frogs from your pool, which isn’t the most thrilling of tasks to say the least.

frogs are not generally bad for your pool. in fact, they eat a lot of bugs and normally have to clean your pool from insects. but just because they are not bad for the pool, that does not mean you have to become alright for them to loiter on your pool. here are some things on how to get rid of them:

1. the first step here is to install a fence. not only that it's a great defense of frogs but it makes your pool much safer and more secure in the process.
2. at night, use a cover to avoid bugs and frogs from entering your pool.
3. clear out weeds as frogs do love hiding in weeds and brush piles.
4. turn off lights as this will attract bugs and frogs do attracts on bugs.
5. create a mixture of salt and water or vinegar to a spray can and spray it around the entire perimeter of your pool. this mixture will basically burn the frog's feet when they touch it.
6. install a waterfall or fountain. insects are predominantly attracted to stagnant water and frogs are attracted to bugs. to keep them away from your pool, keep the water in you pool moving.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”