Pool light/electrical issues

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
ShellyInVegas

Postby ShellyInVegas » Wed 14 Apr, 2010 13:28

Hi all, I'm hoping someone out there can send me in the right direction.

Just had my in-ground pool drained, acid washed, and refilled. The original pool light was fine, but I decided (just for fun) to replace it with the Color Splash LED. Replacement seemed to go fine, and there were no air bubbles that I noticed that after re-installing the light so it didn't seem to have any water leaks with the new gasket.

In testing the light at night, I flipped on the breaker and I could see some light already coming out (before I actually hit the light's power button) Then I pushed the power button and the "real" light came on, much brighter and more normal looking. It cycled through the colors, etc as it was supposed to. But when I pushed the power button to turn it off, the light only dimmed and did not turn off completely. Leaving it in this state (supposedly "OFF") for a minute or two, I watched the light fade in & out several times. Obviously it was still getting power somehow, and never shut off completely until I flipped the breaker off again.

I'm thinking this could be one of two problems:

1) The new gasket seal was not correct, and water has leaked into the fixture. Although this is the first thing the pool store employees suggest because it is a common problem, this doesn't seem likely (in my feeble brain) because if water was getting in there I would expect that the GFI would keep tripping and turning the light OFF when I wanted it ON. This is the opposite of what is happening... or

2) By opening the (most likely original, 10-yr old) light niche & fixture, and messing around in there maybe I somehow messed up the electrical wiring and it needs to be redone completely?

The light was $300 and I can't really just buy a new one because "maybe" it got water in it. And it's a REAL pain to re-do that gasket so I don't want to touch it if it's correct. On the other hand, I really don't want to hire an electrician for something that isn't necessary.

Anyone have any experience with something like this? THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS! Have a great day :)

ShellyInVegas

Postby ShellyInVegas » Tue 20 Apr, 2010 13:36

PROBLEM SOLVED:
I swapped out the existing light switch with a standard light switch. The pool light is now working normally and no longer "bleeding" electricity in the OFF position.

Of course, the instructions on the pool light never mention that certain switches are incompatible. I guess we are all supposed to know that :wink:
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Wed 21 Apr, 2010 02:11

Thanks for the update :thumbup:

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”