Where does this pipe go?

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
edweather
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in-ground rectangle w/vinyl liner 20k gal. in upstate NY

Where does this pipe go?

Postby edweather » Fri 16 Apr, 2010 19:50

We bought the house in upstate NY, and moved in last fall. It has an in-ground 20k gal. in-ground pool w/vinyl liner. A pool company closed the pool last fall for the previous owner. I'm opening the pool this spring and the pump/filter (sand filter) connections are fairly simple...pool to pump...pump to filter....filter to pool. There is one additional pvc pipe sticking about 2' out of the ground on a 45 degree angle, near the pump/filter. I have no idea what this could go to. My best guess is the drain. Help please. Thanks. I'll post a photo if I need to.

HowardWalker
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 X 32 Blue Dolphin IG fiberglass, about 15K gallons. 1.5Hp Hayward pump, 3inch puck style Hayward cholrinator, 100 sq. ft. pleated cartridge filter. Jandy Valve controls and diverter for solar heating panels (three 4 X 10 panels on an elevated pressure treated wood rack).

Where does this pipe go?

Postby HowardWalker » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 19:52

I have something similar plumbed into my IG fiberglass pool except, in my situation, the PVC pipe comes straight up out of the ground and has two 45 degree elbows (so, in effect, the two elbows make a 90 degree bend - I believe that was done to keep rain water out).

Mine is an air draw line to feed the return jets at the deep end of the pool, just above the bench seat.. A venturi effect in the return jets mixes the air and water together...makes the whole setup like a spa or hot tub. If this is true, in your case, you can check this theory by covering the pipe opening with a wet terry cloth towel, folded over, and see if the air bubbles on the far return jets disappears.

Depending on how your pool is plumbed, it could also be used to blow out the lines for winterizing.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Where does this pipe go?

Postby Denali » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 03:16

edweather wrote:We bought the house in upstate NY, and moved in last fall. It has an in-ground 20k gal. in-ground pool w/vinyl liner. A pool company closed the pool last fall for the previous owner. I'm opening the pool this spring and the pump/filter (sand filter) connections are fairly simple...pool to pump...pump to filter....filter to pool. There is one additional pvc pipe sticking about 2' out of the ground on a 45 degree angle, near the pump/filter. I have no idea what this could go to. My best guess is the drain. Help please. Thanks. I'll post a photo if I need to.

Hi,

If the pipe is the same size as the pipe used for pump and filter it is probably the backwash line. If you have a multiport valve with backwash setting it would probably connect up there.
edweather
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in-ground rectangle w/vinyl liner 20k gal. in upstate NY

Where does this pipe go?

Postby edweather » Thu 22 Apr, 2010 10:14

Thanks for the feedback. I asked the installer of the pool and they said that it is a french drain to remove water from under the pool.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”