Adding pool chemicals

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
HowardWalker
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 X 32 Blue Dolphin IG fiberglass, about 15K gallons. 1.5Hp Hayward pump, 3inch puck style Hayward cholrinator, 100 sq. ft. pleated cartridge filter. Jandy Valve controls and diverter for solar heating panels (three 4 X 10 panels on an elevated pressure treated wood rack).

Adding pool chemicals

Postby HowardWalker » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 11:46

For the longest time adding my pH and TA increaser consisted, mostly, of surface scattering of the powder. Then I went to adding it to a 5 gal bucket of hot water and pouring it into the pool around the edge. While both methods had some success in dispersing (the latter was better than the former, BTW), I have found better dispersal by putting the powder in a sweat sock, rubber banding the open end, and putting it in the surface skimmer basket. Over a period of an hour, or so, the powder is released thru the sock fabricand suctioned thru the system.

Before doing this, I vacuum the pool so it is clean and change the pleated filter, when done...before beginning the "sock treatment."

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Adding pool chemicals

Postby chem geek » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 12:21

The sock method, or use of a T-shirt, is also great for having Cyanuric Acid (CYA) slowly dissolve in the skimmer. Some people put it in a sock and hang it over the side into a return flow. Usually though, this isn't necessary for pH and TA adjusting products as they usually dissolve very readily by slowly pouring them over a return flow (usually in the deep end) with the pump running.
HowardWalker
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 X 32 Blue Dolphin IG fiberglass, about 15K gallons. 1.5Hp Hayward pump, 3inch puck style Hayward cholrinator, 100 sq. ft. pleated cartridge filter. Jandy Valve controls and diverter for solar heating panels (three 4 X 10 panels on an elevated pressure treated wood rack).

Adding pool chemicals

Postby HowardWalker » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 14:01

chem geek wrote:The sock method, or use of a T-shirt, is also great for having Cyanuric Acid (CYA) slowly dissolve in the skimmer. Some people put it in a sock and hang it over the side into a return flow. Usually though, this isn't necessary for pH and TA adjusting products as they usually dissolve very readily by slowly pouring them over a return flow (usually in the deep end) with the pump running.

Just tested the pool and the CYA was low. Grabbed a sock and in it went to the skimmer with the CYA inside.

Damn...that pool is lookin' good.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”