Green Pool, Algae won't die

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
oneArmedAssassin

Postby oneArmedAssassin » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 14:49

Just opened the pool last week to get it ready for the swimming season. When opened the pool water was very green and cloudy. Can barely see the bottom step in the shallow end (~3 feet deep). Obviously algae, so I did some basic home testing (pH, Total Alkalinity, Free Chlorine). Took steps to balance those out. Then shocked pool multiple times. Pool has not improved at all.

I took a sample to the pool store for testing and this is what they gave me as levels

pH - 7.4
TA - 80
CYA - 0 (will add this later after algae is removed)
FC 5+ (Should be at shock levels)
CH - 100 ( low, but will fix after algae is removed)
Phosphates - 400

Assumed high phosphate levels would be contributing to the algae so I bought some phosphate remover and added that about a day and a half ago. Filter has been running 24/7. Also had the pool robot going to brush the walls as well as brushing manually on the steps where it can't reach. Did another shock chlorination last night. Checked the pool this morning and still no improvement. Filter pressure has been steady around 16 (where it started after initial cleaning).

Does anyone have any recommendations about what might be causing the algae to not die off? :crazy:

mike45

Postby mike45 » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 19:41

you need to take out polaris algae will stick on polaris making it harder to get rid of algae. you need to buy some some algae killer shock will not kill algae keep your chlorine high . then brush your your walls and floor apply algae killer immediately. if you have sand filter backwash rinse set back to filter. next day vacuum floor and wall make sure to have your filter set to waste so none of the algae gets back in system. any left over algae brush off repeat until pool clears. sometimes algae killer will lower ph causing cloudiness just have some soda ash ready to raise ph hope this helps
oneArmed_Assassin

Postby oneArmed_Assassin » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 21:06

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that. I checked my chlorine levels in a very dilute solution (about 10:1 pool to tap water). I tested the tap water for chlorine before doing this and it had none. The dilute solution was still over 5 on the test so I must have enough chlorine.

I think I discovered my problem. I had opened the filter to clean it after it became very dirty, and did not reattach part of it correctly so the water wasn't actually going through the filter. This may be part of the problem. After only about 30 minutes the pressure in the filter has risen to about 25 from a start of 20 so it seems to be doing it's job now. Will check the water again in the am.
oneArmed_Assassin

Postby oneArmed_Assassin » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 21:08

oneArmed_Assassin wrote:I checked my chlorine levels in a very dilute solution (about 10:1 pool to tap water). I tested the tap water for chlorine before doing this and it had none. The dilute solution was still over 5 on the test so I must have enough chlorine.

Sorry I meant 10:1 tap to pool water.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 01 May, 2010 08:36

Please read Defeating Algae in the Pool School. Lowering phosphates is not the only way to handle this and won't always work that well if you also have organic phosphates in the pool (which phosphate removers don't lower). Maintaining an appropriate FC/CYA ratio will prevent algae growth. If you are unable or unwilling to do that, then you can use a supplemental algaecide (e.g. PolyQuat 60 weekly) and/or continued maintenance with phosphate removers if they work for you -- both at extra expense.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”