Weird test results for Chlorine

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
howbout
I'm new here
I'm new here

Weird test results for Chlorine

Postby howbout » Mon 12 Jun, 2006 10:55

I used to have a simple test kit for chlorine and pH. The chlorine test was just a matter of adding 5 drops of a liquid to the water and it would turn a yellow color you would match to a color chart to check levels. With the new kit, you add drops to test for free chlorine then more to test for total chlorine. You match it to a color and then subtract FC from TC to get CC. Problem is, the colors have been showing as EXACTLY THE SAME every time I test which would put the CC at 0. I know it is NOT. We have had a lot of rain and yesterday I added chlorine to offset that. I also have at a minimum 3 pucks in the pool. Can anyway explain why this is happening and what it might mean? I don't want to do anything and mess the chemicals up (and we had it tested at a pool store and everything was perfect, which makes me think something is wrong either with what I am doing, or the kit itself...most likely me!). Oh - the test water IS turning a pink color...with both tests...could it be that the water color differential is so small I just can't tell (in other words, one IS pinker than the other but I can't tell with the test colors that I match it with).

Thanks for any advice!

howbout
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby howbout » Tue 13 Jun, 2006 08:08

Can anyone help? PLEASE?

Postby Guest » Wed 21 Jun, 2006 19:09

Thats a good thing! You dont want combined chlorine in your pool. All it does is make cloudy, smelly water that burns the eyes. hope that helps.

Postby Guest » Wed 21 Jun, 2006 19:17

I just read what I wrote and decided to expand on it. When you add your reagent #1 and then R#2 you test for free chlorine. When you then add R#3 you are testing for Total chlorine. Subtracting free from total will give you combined, if there is any. Example would be.....Free chlorine at 3ppm, total chlorine at a 5, your combined would be 2ppm. Combined chlorine makes all the chlorine basically "disabled" not allowing it to disinfect your pool. Like I said, combined is bad. If you do ever get, there are plenty of products to help, I recommend Omni Quick Clear.
hope that helps.

ps the Reagent numbers I was talking about are from the Taylor Test Kit. Numbers could be different on other kits.

Return to “Chlorine”