Skimmer Problem

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
poolfool72
I'm new here
I'm new here

Skimmer Problem

Postby poolfool72 » Tue 04 May, 2010 17:43

I'm not sure if there's a problem or not, but the skimmer basket in my inground pool never really fills up with leaves.

The skimmer basket floats when the pump is running or not so I'm wondering if there's no suction coming from the skimmer. There is a flying saucer looking thing (float valve?) that covers the two holes at the bottom of the skimmer and when I remove it, I can definately feel water being suctioned dow the pipe.

The problem seems to be when I put this float valve back over the two holes, there's little if any suction at all. When I look at the bottom of the float valve, there's a hole that looks like it should be covered by something else?

Thank you.

Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Skimmer Problem

Postby Xclusive » Tue 04 May, 2010 18:20

poolfool72 wrote:I'm not sure if there's a problem or not, but the skimmer basket in my inground pool never really fills up with leaves.

The skimmer basket floats when the pump is running or not so I'm wondering if there's no suction coming from the skimmer. There is a flying saucer looking thing (float valve?) that covers the two holes at the bottom of the skimmer and when I remove it, I can definately feel water being suctioned dow the pipe.

The problem seems to be when I put this float valve back over the two holes, there's little if any suction at all. When I look at the bottom of the float valve, there's a hole that looks like it should be covered by something else?

Thank you.

Your skimmer basket should not be floating. Does the basket have a handle? That hole you are speaking of below the float valve may be the equalizer line. There should be a flap there. Do you know if you have an equalizer line?
poolfool7

Skimmer Problem

Postby poolfool7 » Tue 04 May, 2010 20:26

- No handle on the basket.

- There are two holes on the bottom of the skimmer (once you remove the basket and the float valve?). If I remove the float valve, there's definately a ton of suction and water flow. If I put the float valve back in, it's as of the valve is sealing both holes and "plugging up" the suction. On the bottom of the float valve (looks like a flying saucer), there appears to be a missing plastic piece (I can see where something broke off).

Can i just operate the skimmer without this float valve?

Thanks.
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Skimmer Problem

Postby Xclusive » Tue 04 May, 2010 22:03

poolfool7 wrote:- No handle on the basket.

- There are two holes on the bottom of the skimmer (once you remove the basket and the float valve?). If I remove the float valve, there's definately a ton of suction and water flow. If I put the float valve back in, it's as of the valve is sealing both holes and "plugging up" the suction. On the bottom of the float valve (looks like a flying saucer), there appears to be a missing plastic piece (I can see where something broke off).

Can i just operate the skimmer without this float valve?

Thanks.

Yes it will operate without the float valve, but keep in mind the float valve is there so your pump doesn't run dry if the water level is below the skimmers by plugging up the skimmer hole and allowing to pull solely from the main(that's why you have those two holes). Which leads me to the next question. Are you sure your water level is not too low. Is it definetely at least mid skimmer mouth?

On a side note, I inquired about a handle because usually they weigh the skimmer basket down, so nothing gets trapped underneath it. You should consider weighing the basket down with something just a little heavy. Most people just drop a stone in the basket.
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Skimmer Problem

Postby Xclusive » Thu 06 May, 2010 10:51

Any updates?

Skimmer Problem

Postby Guest » Sat 02 Jul, 2011 08:00

Hello poolfool7,
If you have 2 holes at the bottom of the skimmer, only the one closest to the pool should be plugged / covered - the other one should be left open.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Skimmer Problem

Postby mr_clean » Sat 02 Jul, 2011 08:31

open the flap on the bottom of the skimmer float to share suction.
cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Skimmer Problem

Postby cpo2go » Wed 20 Jul, 2011 02:54

Some people have their water level too high and that will cause the skimmer not to skim. Keep the level at the middle of the opening and that is optimal.
Make sure the hole furthest from the pool (the 'back' hole) isn't covered at all. This is the line that connects directly to your pump. The 'front' hole is an equalizer line and can be partially or even completely covered and it won't effect the skimming action. If your pump basket is clean and your filter is clean and you're still not getting decent suction, make sure any valves you may have are turned the right way (I'd have to see them to know which way is the 'right' way). If all of that doesn't help, you may have a leak or blockage in your suction line. Look for excessive air in the pump or a lot of air in the filter when you open the air bleed at the top.
As for the basket floating, just use a rock to keep it down.
The 'flying saucer' is to protect your plumbing in case your water level gets too low. Keep your water at the middle of your skimmer and you don't even need it.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”