Safety Cover Issues

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Dollmaker
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 1300+ gallon in ground free form fiberglass.

Safety Cover Issues

Postby Dollmaker » Wed 05 May, 2010 22:58

A couple of years back we bought a new safety cover for our pool. It is the type that rain passes through, feels like a very dense plastic type material, very heavy. OK, we LOVE the ease of the cover, having battled a cover that we weighed down with water tube thngs that floated on the surface of the pool.

Here's the problem: Every single spring when we open the pool we are confronted with green (and one time PURPLE!) water. The pool has been in perfect balance when closed each time, we have used the proper proceedures for closing the pool. We NEVER had this problem with the old, hard to manage, cover. The water was always perfect in the spring with the exception of clorine.

I am wondering, is it possible (or safe) to lay the old black cover OVER the safety cover to keep any light, rain, etc from entering the pool? We've checked the water in mid to late February and it was perfectly clear, then by the time we open the pool (usually sometime in April), the pool resembles a swamp. We're having a lot of trouble this year getting it to clear up. I'm hoping that by covering the safety cover with the old one to keep all the water and sunlight out this problem would disappear.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :(

andrrewdamien
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Safety Cover Issues

Postby andrrewdamien » Wed 23 May, 2012 13:19

There are various types of swimming pools, including to protect your pool. In the choice of a good cover your primary goal is to ensure a solid pool cover and built-in. The last thing you want is a fragile, cheap, swimming pool covers.
paint marker
BillD
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18 x 36 7/11 pool, 92,000liters, Aqua Genie skimmer, hayward 1 HP pump, original 7/11 24" sand filter

Safety Cover Issues

Postby BillD » Thu 31 May, 2012 14:05

What you are seeing is typical of that type of cover. Dirt and debris get into the pool, and the chlorine dissipates over the winter, leaving a situation ripe for bacterial and algae proliferation. That is why I wouldn't have one; I'm too lazy to do the necessary work come spring. My choice is a fitted winter cover that clips into the coping.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”