Do we need a 7-way valve?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Henry_R
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: HOA Community Swimming pool built approx. 1971.
In-Ground, Plaster 34x18 3.5-6' deep, Sta-rite P2R A5D-120L pump, A.O. Smith centurion 1HP (uprated 1.25HP) motor,Hayward S244S filter(new 2011), Rainbow Lifegard Chlorine/Bomine feeder; new replastered June 2010

Postby Henry_R » Wed 12 May, 2010 17:33

Hi all,

My condo association pool is going to be remodelled with new plaster and appropriate deck and water markers for codes. As part of the work the company bid on a "7-way valve" to replace the existing plunger valve. What do the ports go to if we only have a backwash line and a pipe to the filter?
We do not have a dedicated fill line; we have to use a hose. Is using a 7-port valve even worth doing in our case? Granted a new valve would be nice. I've been taking care of the pool whilst it's been closed and the valve is stiff even though the seals were replaced last July.

The pool dates from probably 1971 or so when these condos were apartments.
It has one intake line and one return line. The return goes to 5 ports in the pool and there is
only one skimmer. The main drain has been plugged since the 1980s when there was a leak
and the plug is not removable without breaking it off as it was glued; we intend to fill the drain
in with plaster.

Advice would be appreciated.

Henry

Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Wed 12 May, 2010 18:57

I assume you are talking about a multiport valve. The amount of return ports you have or whether you have a fill line or working main drain really has no bearing on the operation of a multiport. There are 4 way multiports, 5 and so on. 7 gives you the most features. The extra features are things like Rinse (which is just a feature in addition to backwash), Waste (which allows you bypass the filter when discharging the pool. Owners generally use this to lower the water level if they have a backwash line without having to pump it out)

And so on...

Having said that, being that a pool runs on filter mode 99% of the time, it would seem unnecessary to have all those extra features....unless you find yourself needing them from time to time, and that's when you wish you had them! :)

So I would say if they are not surcharging you that much for it, go for it! It will probably be worth the few xtra bucks
Henry_R
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: HOA Community Swimming pool built approx. 1971.
In-Ground, Plaster 34x18 3.5-6' deep, Sta-rite P2R A5D-120L pump, A.O. Smith centurion 1HP (uprated 1.25HP) motor,Hayward S244S filter(new 2011), Rainbow Lifegard Chlorine/Bomine feeder; new replastered June 2010

Postby Henry_R » Thu 13 May, 2010 11:49

Thank you. Yes, I am guessing they mean a muilti-port valve too. The contractor bid on a "7-way valve" so I'm wondering if it's overkill given what you said the valve is for. From what you've said I don't thing we need a 7-way type. I emailed the contractor to ask them why they were adding the 7-way valve and have yet to hear from them. How much more are the multiport valves vs a replacement plunger valve? Also, is there more maintenance required of the multiport valve over time?

Our association is small, on an extremely tight budget and this job is costing $7000+ as it is.
We have to have the plaster redone, new sand, deck markers, waterline markers, new coping, plug a leaky electrical conduit in the defunct in-pool light fixture which has been leaking water to who know where for ages, fill in the main drain, etc. Given this and other maintenance needs I'm being extra cautious as you can tell.
Money talks!? All it ever says to me is "goodbye!".
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Thu 13 May, 2010 14:58

Multiports are not that much more expensive, usually 30% more than a regular slidevalve. Slidevalves usually go for under $100 retail. So lets just say that a good 7 way mutiport should start at $130 retail, a 4 way even less than that. The trick is how much your installer will mark up the price. Have him give you model # and price and compare online, for both types of valves.

Multiports are pretty durable if used correctly. You must shut off the pump every time you divert the flow. Some pool owners dont understand that and wreck the valve in a short period of time by switching the multiport while the pump is still running.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”