Pressure keeps slowing down out of return jet

Problems relating to the Pool Help Forum website and general forum help.
Suggestions and criticisms that would improve your web experience.
scarolinagirl29
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Hayward pump and filter, 15 X 30 oval above ground

Postby scarolinagirl29 » Sun 16 May, 2010 17:35

I sure hope someone can help me! Our pool has worked fine for the last 2 years. We have a 15X30 oval above ground pool with a Hayward filter and a Hayward pump. We have an Aqua Trol Salt system also. The problem started this year. We changed the sand in the filter, so that was done. Then when we started the pump up there was no leaks that we can find. But the pump runs fine for about 6 hours then the pressure coming out of the return jet seems to go down to almost nothing. We thought it was our pump so we went and bought a new one. Worked fine then the same thing happened. We have tried everything could someone please give us some help. We are thinking on the lines that it has something to do with the filter but we put new sand in it and have backed washed a couple of time but still have the problem. Water is clear for now. Thanks :crazy:

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 18 May, 2010 16:18

Have you checked the suction line for a clog? it is possible and coincidentally, when you changed the pump, the clog shifted then settled back again to cease waterflow. If it is clear, you can also check to see if there is water movement in the pump basket, you can slightly open the relief valve on top of your filter to see if a lot of air is trapped in or if just water comes out. It may be you have a leak in the pump, PVC lines, or the cover is not tight enough as this will diminish suction (in turn pressure).
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Wed 19 May, 2010 09:49

Given that you just changed the sand in the filter, I would look there first to see if there is a problem. Is the filter pressure higher or lower than normal?
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
scarolinagirl29
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Hayward pump and filter, 15 X 30 oval above ground

Postby scarolinagirl29 » Thu 20 May, 2010 14:14

mas985 wrote:Given that you just changed the sand in the filter, I would look there first to see if there is a problem. Is the filter pressure higher or lower than normal?

Thanks for answering the pressure on the pressure gage has not changed at all that is what we can't figure out. There is no leaks no where and we went out and bought a new pump so there is nothing at that end. :(
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Thu 20 May, 2010 20:11

Your pressure gauge may be broken so that may not be helping diagnosing the problem. If flow rate changes, pressure has to change either higher or lower. Lower pressure would mean a suction side problem or a clogged impeller. Higher pressure than normal would indicate a filter problem.

If you just opened the pool, the problem could be an algae bloom which is quickly clogging the filter. If this is the case, then backwashing would bring the flow rate back up again.

If backwashing does not help and flow rate is still poor, then the problem is likely on the suction side of the pump. Is there any air in the pump basket? If so, there could be clog in the suction line or even in the impeller.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
pool dude

Postby pool dude » Sat 28 Apr, 2012 02:34

Pool return line could be partially blocked meaning that there is a wall of water building up in the system reducing the pressure. Have the same problem and currently trying to cut out the section of blocked pipe. Like you we replaced sand in filter, New pump etc. All for no reason. A camera drain inspection confirmed the blockage
Vee

Postby Vee » Mon 15 Jul, 2013 19:09

That sounds like my issue. How do you unclog it?
Vee

Postby Vee » Mon 15 Jul, 2013 19:21

Can someone also please tell me how to unclog the impeller and where is the impeller. I have a Hayward DE filter for a 15' diameter above ground pool. The pool service co twice didnt fix it and twice never showed! Please help!
eliveove12
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 5x10

Re: Pressure keeps slowing down out of return jet

Postby eliveove12 » Wed 26 Oct, 2022 04:04

Diagnosing and fixing return jet problems can be one of the most annoying things when it comes to pool maintenance because more often than not, it’s something that’s pretty simple, but diagnosing it can become a pain since there can be a number of things that can be causing your return jets to become sluggish. To make it easier, we’ll be grouping the possible problems into two: namely low pressure readings and high pressure readings on your filter’s pressure gauge.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Pressure keeps slowing down out of return jet

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 26 Oct, 2022 11:16

High pressure readings are symptomatic of a big pump on a small filter when it should be the other way around. High pressure causes bad filtration, poor water quality and the masdive expense on electricity, can also wear your pump out prematurely.
My system runs at 0.5 PSI and filters perfectly and has done for the last 16 years. It will take a long time for domestic custimers to realise there are better ways of doing filtration circuits and even longer for the pool industry to catch on. Its a good flow we need not high pressure,
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Problems & Suggestions for this Forum”