Pump doesn't seem to suck up water

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
El Guapo

Postby El Guapo » Tue 18 May, 2010 07:49

Hello,
I am trying to open my pool myself.... for the 1st time. I have removed the plugs (2 from pool and 1 from skimmer) and turned on the pump. I filled the filter basket area with water... on the pump. The pump sounds normal. However, water is not being sucked up through the filter. Is there anything I might have missed? Is there a trick to getting the pump to suck up the water?
Thanks,
Ian

SteveM1800
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby SteveM1800 » Tue 18 May, 2010 12:01

There are few questions i would need to ask before id be able to answer your question. First, did you close your pool or did you have somebody else do it? Secondly, did you put the two plugs back in the pump and tighten up the unions and ball valves. Finally, is the filter higher than the pump?
El Guapo

Postby El Guapo » Tue 18 May, 2010 22:06

SteveM1800 wrote:There are few questions i would need to ask before id be able to answer your question. First, did you close your pool or did you have somebody else do it? Secondly, did you put the two plugs back in the pump and tighten up the unions and ball valves. Finally, is the filter higher than the pump?

I had a pool company close the pool. The 2 plugs were never removed from the pump. The valves all seem to be tight. I was able to get some suction tonight. It lasted about 3 mins. I closed one of the valves and started and stopped the pump a few times. It seems as though I need to prime the pump but not sure how.
The base of the filter is about 4" above the base of the pump. The pump is a WhisperFlo.
Ian
POOLAY

Postby POOLAY » Fri 21 May, 2010 13:45

FILL UR SUCTION LINE WITH WATER - HAVE A MATE PLUG THE SKIMMER WITH A TENNIS BALL OR SOMETHING, REMOVING IT AS YOU TURN UR PUMP ON. REPEAT PROCESS A FEW TIMES IF YOU DONT GET PRIME 1ST GO. FAILING THAT CHECK FOR AIR LEAKS - PUMP LID, UNIONS ETC... FAILING THAT INSPECT UR IMPELLA. GOOD LUCK,

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”