Pool Pump overheating

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
tlarson95
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground 24' round, 4 ft deep. Hayward cartridge filter and pump.

Pool Pump overheating

Postby tlarson95 » Mon 24 May, 2010 13:23

We just opened our pool this weekend and our pump (Hayward 1.5HP) is running very hot to the touch. If we shut it off and try to turn it back on, it blows our circuit breaker. If we let it cool down and start it up again, it starts, but very rough. It hesitates a bit and then starts up. But then within an hour it is hot again. It doesn't shut off on its own but I'm afraid to keep it running for long periods when it is that hot to the touch. Even when it cools down overnight, when we start it it hesitates for a bit and then finally starts. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong or what we should do? I have no idea how to even take it apart or what to do.

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Pool Pump overheating

Postby mas985 » Mon 24 May, 2010 16:12

Sounds like a bearing is starting to fail. This will make the motor hard to start and will create extra load on the motor causing it to overheat. How old is the motor/pump? Is it making any unusual noises?

Bearings are replaceable albeit difficult to do but you can usually find a motor shop to do if for you. Also, you could either replace the motor or use this as a opportunity to get a more efficient pump.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”