New plaster needs brushing for 7 days and costs $$$?

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Henry_R
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: HOA Community Swimming pool built approx. 1971.
In-Ground, Plaster 34x18 3.5-6' deep, Sta-rite P2R A5D-120L pump, A.O. Smith centurion 1HP (uprated 1.25HP) motor,Hayward S244S filter(new 2011), Rainbow Lifegard Chlorine/Bomine feeder; new replastered June 2010

Postby Henry_R » Fri 28 May, 2010 10:38

Our community pool is being replastered today (specs on sidebar). I've been maintaining the pool since last summer when the pool was closed pending this re-plaster (which our HOA couldn't yet afford) and which also required we fix the main drain for VGB. We've decided to fill in the main drain since it's been plugged at the skimmer for 20 years and not used.

The company that is doing the work didn't bid to do weekly maintenance and the several that have come out to bid have stated we need to brush the pool for seven days to cure the plaster and get the dust off and are looking to charge a pretty steep fee of $200-500. The company doing the plaster work denies this is necessary stating that it's easy and can be done by us (or me in this case) in only a few minutes per day for 2 or 3 days. His subcontractor is using white marble plaster which he claims needs only a mild brushing. He said we're being snowballed by the other companies who are trying to make money on a pool new startup.

Someone is not telling the whole truth can someone tell me who?

Money talks!? All it ever says to me is "goodbye!".
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Fri 28 May, 2010 19:45

Henry,

Brushing for several days is a crucial part of new plaster startup procedure. Your plaster will continue to cure for at least 30 days, and getting rid of the excess dust is a must in order to allow the plaster to cure properly. Not less important is being on top of the water chemistry every day during this break-in period. Different companies will give you different answers, but those who told you that you need to brush for at least seven days are generally right. I for example include startup visits, brushing sessions and chemistry balance as part of my quotes for new plaster, resulting in slightly higher pricing. In addition to that, I tell my customers to brush frequently for about a week after my visits. For those who turn down my plaster startup visits, I make them aware that i will not honor the warranty against pitting or cracking.

Also, see here for reference-New Plaster Startup:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-sch ... r_start-up
Henry_R
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: HOA Community Swimming pool built approx. 1971.
In-Ground, Plaster 34x18 3.5-6' deep, Sta-rite P2R A5D-120L pump, A.O. Smith centurion 1HP (uprated 1.25HP) motor,Hayward S244S filter(new 2011), Rainbow Lifegard Chlorine/Bomine feeder; new replastered June 2010

Postby Henry_R » Sat 29 May, 2010 22:44

Xclusive wrote:Henry,

Brushing for several days is a crucial part of new plaster startup procedure. Your plaster will continue to cure for at least 30 days, and getting rid of the excess dust is a must in order to allow the plaster to cure properly. Not less important is being on top of the water chemistry every day during this break-in period. Different companies will give you different answers, but those who told you that you need to brush for at least seven days are generally right. I for example include startup visits, brushing sessions and chemistry balance as part of my quotes for new plaster, resulting in slightly higher pricing. In addition to that, I tell my customers to brush frequently for about a week after my visits. For those who turn down my plaster startup visits, I make them aware that i will not honor the warranty against pitting or cracking.

Also, see here for reference-New Plaster Startup:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-sch ... r_start-up
Thank you much. The builder talked with me the other day and I asked his about this and he insists the brushing is not a big deal and can be done by the client which is our homeowner's association. He discounted the prices asked for a startup as the other companies being like sharks and just looking to discredit him. He says he shows people how to do it and such as part of his service and he'sbeen doing it this way for years. His residential references were impeccable, though his commercial refernces were outdated numbers for the most part.

From what you've said this brushing sounds more complex than he's stating. So would there have been any truth to someone saying the pool could be used over this weekend (Memorial Day) if it was plastered on Friday for example? The Board President was told if they started on Monday(which they began plaster removal then) and plastered by Friday we could swim by Memorial Day. They set the coping and trim tile on Thursday, but didn't get to the plaster. Our association attorney seems to thing we should hold them to a verbal contract and withold a portion of the final payment as a penalty though there's no deadline in the written contract.
Money talks!? All it ever says to me is "goodbye!".
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Sat 29 May, 2010 22:57

I can't get in to the legalities of the situation between you and your contractor, but I can tell you if the plaster was laid Friday, Memorial Day is far too soon to start swimming in the pool.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”