Sand Filter with Floor Pop-ups - a no-no?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
JimAHS
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Approx 12,500, Hayward sand filter, Pentair Whisperflo 3/4 electric pump, Pebbletec, caretaker pop up system, waterfall, lots of trees that like to drop stuff in my pool =(

Postby JimAHS » Fri 28 May, 2010 21:22

I was telling a pool service company about the problem I'm having with excess pressure on my filter and she mentioned that it isn't a good idea to have a sand filter with a pop-up "care-taker" system. She mentioned that if sand gets into the lines that it can clog the pop-ups (my phrasing, not hers) and that might be why I have high pressure on my filter.

Does this make sense? And if so, why would a pool builder put that combination together? I bought the house three years ago (the pool is probably 5 or 6 years old) and have already had to replace the filter because it burst. I'm hoping to avoid another burst filter, but I don't want to have to replace it either!

Thanks

Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Fri 28 May, 2010 21:40

I'm not a big fan of in floor cleaning systems. To me they are just not worth the extra lines and maintenance to worry about. Having said that, I highly doubt that your sand filter could be causing you pop ups to clog. Perhaps a good way to find out is to shut off the caretaker and check your filter pressure again?
JimAHS
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Approx 12,500, Hayward sand filter, Pentair Whisperflo 3/4 electric pump, Pebbletec, caretaker pop up system, waterfall, lots of trees that like to drop stuff in my pool =(

Postby JimAHS » Sat 29 May, 2010 09:46

The pressure in the filter is always high, even when the pumps are not running. It's a Hayward sand filter and says Max operating pressure is 50psi. When I'm running the system without the pop-ups (side jets only) its at 55. If I run half pop-ups and half side jets it's still at 55. But if I run the pop-ups only the pressure jumps up to over 70! Obviously I don't keep it at this setting .

Unfortunately the pop-ups don't do a very good job at half, so I'm having to brush and sweep manually a lot more than usual.

Thanks.
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Sat 29 May, 2010 11:45

Ok I see on your sidebar you have the right size pump for the gallonage in your pool. The next step is to try to find out your filter size so it matches your pump rating. Could you let me know your filter make and model?

Also does your filter have a pressure relief valve? Have you tried bleeding the air out to relieve some of the pressure?

By the way I still don't think the fact that you have a caretaker with a sand filter is the cause of your problems. There are countless systems out there with that combination and I don't see the manufactures sites advising against it.. I really think the problem lies elsewhere
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Sat 29 May, 2010 14:46

JimAHS wrote:The pressure in the filter is always high, even when the pumps are not running.

That would mean your gauge is probably bad. Pressure should go to zero when pumps are shut off.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
JimAHS
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JimAHS » Sun 30 May, 2010 08:02

Thanks. The filter is a Hayward Pro Series S244T - It's my understanding that this is a pretty good filter, and larger than the one it replaced. Though I don't see a pressure relief valve, there is a drain cap. And yes, the pressure is high even when the system isn't running. I would love it to be a gauge problem! How would I find that out? Just get a new gauge?

I was looking in the "Pool School" about sand filters and read that it's a good idea to occasionally open up the filter and wash out the sand with a hose? How on earth do you do that? I backwash regularly, btw.

Thanks again.
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Sun 30 May, 2010 10:14

Yes, just buy a new gauge. They aren't all that expensive.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
JimAHS
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JimAHS » Sun 13 Jun, 2010 21:54

Thanks mas985 (Mark)!

Turns out it was the gauge. Love it when there's a $10 fix...rarely happens to me.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”