Return line leak when pool running

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
smithwithani
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14X28 Marcite

Postby smithwithani » Wed 02 Jun, 2010 07:26

We seem to have a cracked pipe on the return system of our pool. There are 4 return jets with eyeballs. This was determined by a big water loss only when the pool filter is running. Pool pump off and no loss or so small can't measure. Pool pump on and loss was calculated at 1220 gal over 8 hours. We lost 5" of water on a 14x28 pool. We also ran test with the 4 eyeballs off and water loss over 4 hours was about 300 gal. (less back pressure so crack didn't open up as much, we figure?)

Dug up yard from equipment to where return line goes under deck and no leaks visable, so it seems leak is under deck. Deck area is large and returns are from 3' to 13' from the edge. Not wanting to cut cement and kool deck we had the idea of just running the 1.5" return line around the deck to the far side and up from the graound and over the deck on the narrow side (3'). With a few 90 degree bends and back into the pool. Maybe 6" under the water level and to a "T" fitting to give the water some direction.

Does anyone have an idea if this is feasable. We know from estimates that leak detection and cutting the deck would be in the area of $1200 and running new single line return would be less than $100, closer to my budget.

We can't really see that going to a single return "T'd" under water would make that much of a difference but would like a second opinion.

Thanks for your ideas.

ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby ChuckGeo » Wed 02 Jun, 2010 15:13

An over deck return line is certainly an option. It's ugly but cost effective. I've done it myself a few times and it works fine. You might experiment with the terminal fitting - a 90 might work better that a T, to give the pool a nice circular flow. Would recommend that you plug the unused wall returns to prevent any leakage through them.
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience
smithwithani
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14X28 Marcite

Postby smithwithani » Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:11

Thanks for the support. I ran the over-the-deck return and we are now "Leak Free". I did make the last fitting in the water a 90 degree and it gives a nice circular flow. Also I capped all the old returns as you said to prevent any leakage. All seems to be working fine and I'm glad that I don't have the expense of all the chemicals and water I was adding. Next step is to dress up the pipe with some garden blocks and a plant or 2 and it will be barely noticible.

Thanks again, Gary
ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby ChuckGeo » Wed 16 Jun, 2010 14:55

Congratulations on you success. You get a gold star.
Chuck

Owner, Superior Pool Services

25 years leak detection experience

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”