Advance Winterizing Preparation for Texas Rental?

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
ms_fausey
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 in-ground gunite pool and all the equipment is Hayward

Advance Winterizing Preparation for Texas Rental?

Postby ms_fausey » Wed 16 Jun, 2010 19:28

Howdy,

I've owned my home for 4+ years and the pool is 8 - 9 years old. 15,000 gallon In-ground gunite pool in Little Elm, TX, 75068, with a hottub attached that runs over, with a waterfall effect, into the pool. All our equipment is Hayward, I believe. And we have an underground propane tank for heating the pool and hottub. That probably doesn't matter for winterizing, but I thought I'd let you know that.

This was such an incredible expense last winter with how cold it was and how long it was cold. The pool ran for more than a whole week, several different weeks over the winter. My electric bills are crazy. It was the coldest winter in decades and we even got a foot of snow--TWICE! This winter is not supposed to be AS BAD, but it's still supposed to be very cold.

Now, I want to rent out the property and want to save my tenants those winter electric bills. What can I do? I have nothing, so I'll need to buy all the supplies. I read somewhere about a winterizing procedure, but it was from a NY company and included turning the filter upside down to make sure all the water is out. Ummmm... I guess that's a possibility, maybe, but it seems really super heavy. I don't know. That's the least of my concerns.

Is it possible to winterize a pool in North Texas? Can someone point me at some amazingly wonderful instructions on how to do this?

I'm trying to figure it all out now, long before it starts to get chilly, to assure my tenants they won't have the expense of the pool in the winter.

Thank you so much for any help you might be able to give me.
Warmest regards,
Nichole Fausey
Denton, TX (pool is in Little Elm)

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”