Cloudy Pool Water for DAYS

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Keala64
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15x4 above ground Intex pool

Postby Keala64 » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 04:38

I had this pool only for about a month everytime I go and clean it add some Chemicals and yet it's still cloudy I got the so called hth 6 way test strips and I don't know how to really read this thing cause to me it's confusing to me more then the strips that came with the pool cause this strips reads TH <~~ Must be total Hardness, FC Free Chlorine, pH , TA Total Alkalinity, CYA Cyanuric Acid with all those and I go to the web site and it has this at the hTh water testing so where do I add this TH, FC,PH,TA and CYA from the six way strips to the hTh site ? I don't know I am just a stressed out pool owner who is trying to get a cleaner pool for my grandkids

Chlorine: FACL (0-10)TCL (0-10) Help

Free Available Chlorine (FACL) is the amount of available active chlorine remaining in the water after the chlorine demand has been met by killing algae, bacteria, or destroying other contaminants in pool water. Total Chlorine (TCL) is a measure of both “free chlorine” and “combined chlorine” in pool water.
pH Balance: pH (6.4 - 8.2)

Alkalinity: TA (0 - 500)

Calcium Hardness: CH (0 - 2000)

Stabilizer: CYI (0 - 200)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Readings:

My Chlorine 0

pH Balance 8.2

Alkalinity 240

CYA came out 300

Can someone help me please I will test later today Thanks

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:35

Your CYA is way too high and can only be (reasonably) lowered by water dilution, so multiple partial drain/refill. Read Defeating Algae in the Pool School, but it will be impractical to shock your pool with chlorine with your very high CYA level.

The amount of active chlorine in a pool for disinfection, algae prevention, and oxidation of bather waste is proportional to the FC/CYA ratio so as the CYA gets higher, the FC must be raised proportionately or else algae can grow faster than chlorine can kill it. Your CYA probably got too high from continued use of stabilized chlorine products. The following are chemical rules of fact that are independent of concentration of product or of pool size:

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm.

So even with a very low 1 ppm FC per day chlorine usage, continued use of Tichlor will increase CYA by over 100 ppm in 6 months if there is no water dilution.
flynmedic77

Postby flynmedic77 » Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:28

your ph and alkaline are high... i would start of with some muriatic acid, you can get 2 gallons at home depot for about $10 bucks and you wont need all of it at all. This will reduce your ph and alkaline. Once you get your pool "properly" balanced it will be easy to keep chlorine in there and make the pool sanitized and your water should clear up as well. Hope this helps!
Keala64
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15x4 above ground Intex pool

Postby Keala64 » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:06

ok now what I did was take out half the water in the pool not sure if I should drain it all and start over cause I been busy but if I drain half the water out will I have a better chance of a clearer water in my pool or should I dump it all out and start over I am very busy and yet I do honestly get confuse about all these chemicals any suggestions ? Thanks

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”