Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
cab
I'm new here
I'm new here

New build ? about width

Postby cab » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:32

i have a question about overall measurements on a new pool. it is "suppose" to be 20.9 x 40. the contractor installed marine grade plywood for side walls and has already concreted the bottom, sides and a footing behind the side walls. i notice the other day one end measures 20.9 while the other end measures 20.7 1/4. this doesnt seem right to me. is this tolerable?

cab
I'm new here
I'm new here

New build ? about width

Postby cab » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 13:23

come on i know someone has a answer. i need to address this with my contractor. thanks
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

New build ? about width

Postby lbridges » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 14:11

Does your contract address dimensional accuracy (typically expressed as a percentage)? If I assume this 20.7-1/4 vice 20.9 to be in feet, then you are off by about 2.1 inches, or slightly less than 1%.

I view this as well within reason.

The critical thing you need to worry about is the side to side height when the tile gets placed. In that case you don't want one side of the pool to have the water line mid-tile while on the other it's at the top or bottom. Secondarily, if this is a geometric shape, the straightness of the walls is more important that the dimension difference -- straight can be visually seen, dimensions on the order of 2 inches can't.
cab
I'm new here
I'm new here

New build ? about width

Postby cab » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 14:59

thanks, that makes me feel a little better but im not sure i understand about the side height and how could i measure this?
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

New build ? about width

Postby lbridges » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 15:24

They will put up the waterline tile. Later they come back and plaster, etc.

In between you get a piece of clear tubing (from Home Depot, Lowes, Ace hardware, etc) and fill it with water (and a bit of food coloring to make it easy to see).

Have one person hold (or rig up a stand) one end of the tube so the water level in the tube is even with the top (or bottom) of the tile. Walk around the pool and check multiple spots to make sure the tile is all level. Then (if they installed the tile correctly) after the pool gets filled with water the waterline will appear even all around the pool. This is IMO the most critical measurement to be found in pool building since it's the easiest to see a mistake (when the pool is filled and it's too late without a lot of heartache).

Alternately you could spend a few hundred and get a nice laser level, but water levels have been in use for centuries.
cab
I'm new here
I'm new here

New build ? about width

Postby cab » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 16:44

thanks alot you have been alot of help.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”