Pump/Filter On/Off During Pool Use?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
TabSinger2
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: 15' Round, Above Ground Pool. 4' deep. Sand Filter. Heavy Use (3 kids).

Postby TabSinger2 » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 23:05

Is it necessary to turn off the pump/filter while using our pool? Someone told my husband this and I've never heard of it. I have never swam in a pool that didn't have the filter running 24/7. We have a 15' round, above ground with a sand filter. It's heavily used by our 3 kids. Not running the filter all day gets us behind on the care pretty quick. He wants to save on electric by only running the filter for 3 hrs a night, but I say we need a minimum of 8hrs. What suggestions/information would you have? Thank you.

SteveM1800
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby SteveM1800 » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 14:53

It doesnt really matter if you run your system during the day or at night. I believe the best time to run your pool is during the day while everybody is in and out, because its better to capture all the dirt once it enters your pool ratherthan leaving everything off and all the debris settles to the bottom of your pool.
TabSinger2
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: 15' Round, Above Ground Pool. 4' deep. Sand Filter. Heavy Use (3 kids).

Postby TabSinger2 » Fri 25 Jun, 2010 00:05

His main issue is that someone told him that the pump will suck air if the water is sloshing hard in and out of the skimmer. I've never heard of it. I would think that the pump/filter could handle a little air, IF it took any in. It would be a small amount if it did.
DONIE999

Postby DONIE999 » Sat 14 Jul, 2012 21:36

lueRegarding answers to the question, someone should have indicated that it is, or it is not, mandatory to run the pool circulation pump whenever anyone is in the pool. The answer should be based on whether it's considered safer to circulate the water to continually clean dirt, or bacteria, from all swimmers in the pool. In addition, I do not like the feeling of swimming in stagnate water, and I always turn on the pump when swimming. What do the rest of you think about this subject based on safety concerns and not saving power?
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Mon 16 Jul, 2012 14:40

8 hours a day sounds ideal to be running the pump & filter this time of year. A 15 round is a bit smaller with less water, so you could probably get by running it 5 or 6 if you wanted to compromise, but 8 would be best.

My opinion - I would leave the system running while the kids are in there. 3 kids getting tracking their feet in and out of the pool will get it dirty real quick. They would have to splash a LOT of water out of the pool (2 inches or so) to get the pump sucking air down the skimmer.

Is your pool equipped with a bottom drain? If it is, you could just turn the skimmer suction off and run the drain while the kids are in the pool. That would eliminate any chance of the skimmer sucking air. It also helps the kids make a killer whirlpool!

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”