DE flowing back into the pool

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
gknupfer

Postby gknupfer » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 23:08

I have a problem that I can not figure out, I hope somebody out there knows of this.
When my pump shuts off it seems that I am getting DE washing back up through the Drain and the Skimmers. I have tried backflushing and starting over again, I have gone through the Backflush valve I have taken the filter apart to inspect all the screens and replaced what was needed. Remember this happens after the pump is off.
Thanks Grant

riverdogg8899
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: my pool is kidney shaped and about 12,000 gallons

Postby riverdogg8899 » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 13:54

Hey Grant,

You have an air leak in your system somehwere. Maybe an o-ring. You may want to start at the filter clamp o-ring. Make sure the lid and orings are cleaned very well. What you can do is turn ystem on, make sure its primed, once you have thant look for any water dripping. Then shut system off and listen for a gurgling sound like there is air leak somewhere. Maybe at the filter clamp or, valves or pump lid oring etc.
What is happeneing is that when you pool shuts off, the filter gurgles down and the DE from the filter goes into the pipes. When the system turns back on some of the DE will go back into the pool. Also over night the DE from the filter will go to the drains. Like the skimmer or the main drain of the pool. So just look for a small leak somewherwe. You can go to a site called reliable pool solutions . com and go to their tech tip forum and they may be able to help you.

Good luck,

Rob
gknupfer wrote:I have a problem that I can not figure out, I hope somebody out there knows of this.
When my pump shuts off it seems that I am getting DE washing back up through the Drain and the Skimmers. I have tried backflushing and starting over again, I have gone through the Backflush valve I have taken the filter apart to inspect all the screens and replaced what was needed. Remember this happens after the pump is off.
Thanks Grant
Grant

Postby Grant » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 17:44

Thanks Rob I will start looking again, at least I have an Idea now
Grant
Pool Man 456

Postby Pool Man 456 » Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:35

Hi,

Replace your check valve in your DE filter. Its a little flatp with a weight on it, prevents backflow of DE. Simple small check valve, easy to replace, but everyone seems to forget it is there. Over time chemicals destroy it and it remains 'stuck' open.

-Pool Man
Pool Man456

Postby Pool Man456 » Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:40

http://www.aquasuperstore.com/products/ ... 64779.html

here is a picture of the check valve

-Pool Man

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”