Green water after shocking

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
wingnut81
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: 24 foot round above ground sand filter

Postby wingnut81 » Tue 22 Jun, 2010 14:06

hello, I have a 24 foot round above ground pool with a sand filter. I have metal in my water from using my well to top it off. I shocked my pool and it turned pea soup green. My local pool store advised me to use stain and scale remover to clear it up. I did this. two bottles worth, guess what, still green. I had my water tested today, June 22, and everything is balanced. Dont know what to try next. Any suggestions?

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 22 Jun, 2010 19:45

Lower your pool's pH first. You may need to wait for the chlorine level to drop below 10 ppm FC to get an accurate pH reading. With a lower pH, say to 7.2, the green should lighten up and you can add more metal sequestrant as needed.
TabSinger2
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: 15' Round, Above Ground Pool. 4' deep. Sand Filter. Heavy Use (3 kids).

Postby TabSinger2 » Sun 11 Jul, 2010 12:28

I recently found out how metals react to pool shock, thus I have a well balanced 15' above ground pool that is clear and green. I added 32oz bottle of metal treatment last night and today it's more lime than dark green. There were two things that I didn't read in the directions. One was, how long before someone should swim after adding the treatment and two, how long do I wait before another is necessary? If it's green on day 2, do I wait a week or add more on day 3?

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”