Aeration Idea

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
jjm

Aeration Idea

Postby jjm » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:27

I am aerating as a part of the TA reduction process described in this forum. I put a 20' 1/8" ID tube into the suction line of an Intex 1500GPH filter pump and the other end is open to the air. It appears to be very effective at dissolving oxygen and injecting it into the pool. The pump is running a little louder due to the air intake. Is it going to break the pump?

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Aeration Idea

Postby lbridges » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 15:32

The pump is running louder since the air introduction is producing cavitation. Cavitation sounds are produced by "exploding" air bubbles at the surface of the impeller. The amount of damage will depend on the amount of cavitation.

It's better to make a pool fountain using a return line into the pool.
shacke
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: SWG, 19000 gal, painted plaster, DE filter

Aeration Idea

Postby shacke » Sun 27 Jun, 2010 15:05

This is my first post but it brings up a timely question for me about aeration.

I am trying to get a handle on balancing my SWG pool, particularly since the pH rising continually is now causing some early scaling.

My TA is always high (currently 130) and I want to bring it down as per chemgeek's suggetion on this forum. I am adding more and more acid over time (like 3 pts a week for my 19K gallon pool). The borates and raising CYA levels are being done this week.

What is an easy way to aerate? I don't have a fountain and would be willing to buy a cheap air compressor (like a hi flow tire inflator with a long hose to sink to the bottom) if that would work well. I can't point my returns high enough to get water bubbling at the surface.

Any ideas, thanks in advance. If the ideas involve building a contraption - please be detailed - I can barely nail a nail with a hammer :oops:
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Aeration Idea

Postby lbridges » Sun 27 Jun, 2010 19:50

Perhaps consider a floating fountain that attaches to a pool return.

I have never worked up the numbers, but I suspect the air surrounding the water droplets from the fountain has more surface area, interacting for a longer time, than the air bubbles from a compressor.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”