Pool is cloudy green

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Help

Pool is cloudy green

Postby Help » Tue 29 Jun, 2010 18:31

Hello everyone, I have a cloudy green pool and can't get it cleared up, help please.

We have had the 24 foot round pool up here at the house for several years, and wanted to change the liner this year so last fall we let several leaves fall in it before we covered it up, so we had several leaved in it, but we have them all out I think.

I shocked it several bags when we uncovered it cause it was black, not good.

I have messed with it for 3 weeks now and still a cloudy green.

With the HTH strips with the 5 colors on it here is what I had.

I can't get the chlorine up.

Here is the numbers.

Total hardness was 200
Chlorine was 1/2 not sure of the PPM on that.
PH was at 7.8
Total Alkalinity 180
CYA was at 30-50

Pool is cloudy green

Postby Guest » Tue 29 Jun, 2010 22:08

Surely someone can help me.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Pool is cloudy green

Postby chem geek » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 03:25

Read Defeating Algae and the how to on Shock Your Pool in the Pool School. Shocking is not a one-time addition of some chlorine -- it's adding enough to raise the chlorine to a high level and then adding more as needed to maintain the high level until the pool is cleared. You'll need a good test kit to be able to measure the high chlorine level -- either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100.
JMD
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18'x33' Oval Above Ground, Sand filter

Pool is cloudy green

Postby JMD » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 05:51

Pool is cloudy green

Postby Guest » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 14:12

I don't think I have an algae problem, the sides aren't slimy and when I backwash it the filter doesn't turn green, it really doesn't cloud up much at all.

I checked it with the strips today and it shows no chlorine, and the Ph seems to be down some.

What would you throw at it if it was yours?

Pool is cloudy green

Postby Guest » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 22:30

I forgot to let yall know that I have the two tube tester but it's about a year old, and I have dipped it in the water and put the 5 drops in the Chlorine and the 5 in the PH side and it shows the same thing as the strips, low chlorine and high PH.

Will the high PH cause a green water color?

I'm going to throw a couple bags of shock in it in the morning and some PH minus and see what happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pool is cloudy green

Postby Guest » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 06:50

I guess my computer has done quit working.
kaptn

Pool is cloudy green

Postby kaptn » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 16:16

I went away from shock because it was causing too many chemical problems going up and down so I am using liquid chlorine.

I remember putting in some PH and then shocking and my pool went to cloudy green as well. I have been battling no FC but until I can get my CYA down then I will address the chlorine loss issue.

Pool is cloudy green

Postby Guest » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 18:03

My CYA is very low.

Got to do some reading on how to raise it.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Pool is cloudy green

Postby chem geek » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 20:41

Pool User wrote:Will the high PH cause a green water color?

If it were a clear green, then yes. High pH can precipitate copper ions that make the water look green and can also stain surfaces. Lowering the pH usually lightens that up and you can add a metal sequestrant if that is the case.

The cloudiness, however, probably indicates algae growth. It starts out as dull then cloudy and then green so it doesn't always look green to start with.

Get yourself a good test kit such as the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100 and read Defeating Algae.
Dodgeman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24'

Pool is cloudy green

Postby Dodgeman » Fri 02 Jul, 2010 23:05

How do I get my CYA numbers up?

What do I need to add?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Pool is cloudy green

Postby chem geek » Sun 04 Jul, 2010 01:54

Sorry -- I missed answering that. Increasing CYA is easy and you have choices. You can buy pure CYA at your pool store. It takes a while to dissolve and you can put it into your skimmer to have it caught in the filter where it will slowly dissolve. A more expensive alternative is to use Natural Chemistry Instant Pool Water Conditioner, but that will dissolve instantly. If you don't need your CYA raised in a hurry, you can just use Dichlor for your regular chlorination and the CYA will build up rather quickly over time since for every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Dichlor, it will increase by 9 ppm.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”