Bacteria Build Up While Treating w/Muriatic Acid

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
Tanya Pool

Postby Tanya Pool » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 10:09

Hi there,
I am wondering if I should be concerned with bacteria growth while I am treating my pool w/ Muriatic Acid?

My small 1700+ gal. pool was filled using our well. Because our well has very high iron, my pool's Alkalinity is very high.

This is a newly set up pool (less than 1 wk set up). And I have no clorine in it (has not been shocked / treated with Clorine at all- I'm waiting until the Alkalinity is much lower).

My goal is to get down to 100ppm Alkalinity.

So far my progress has been:

After my initial dose of 16oz. of Muriatic Acid (24hrs later) my PH was 7.8 (down from 8.0), and Alkalinity was 358ppm.
After another 24 hours, my results (after a 2nd dose of 16oz. MA) are: PH 7.6 and Alkalinity at 286.40

I feel good about continuing on this path (unless someone tells me differently!) The PH is slowly decreasing, along with my Alkalinity. If all goes well, I should be at my target goal in approx. 4 more days.

My concern is, since I do not have any other chemicals in the pool- and it is being used (after 12 hours of dosing, and 6 hours of pump running) I'm worried about bacteria growth developing. Should I be concerned? Should I just let it ride for a few more days until I can start adding the Chlorine? Is there anything I should be using along w/ the Muriatic Acid (besides an Algaecide- Haven't used one yet, need to find one without copper!) to control bacteria?

The water is only a tinge cloudy. That just happened in the last day or so. And the water still has a faint Iron color to it. When the cloudy started, that's what made me wonder about bacteria. Having nothing in the pool kind of creeps me out- Reminds me of a community bath tub! (gross!) Not a swimming pool.

Thank you for your time! :)

swimfit
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby swimfit » Mon 01 Nov, 2010 05:54

Dear,

I'd suggest that you bring in a pool maintenance team to inspect the water. While what is given out here can still be a solution, it might be appropriate to see them as opinions in matters that are involved. So stay safe with every decision regarding the pool and consult somebody in person.
swimfit
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby swimfit » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 03:23

Was this sorted by any chance?

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”