Test readings

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
nicknac
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12x36 intex pool
1.779 gallon
saltwater generator with a built in 2,000 gallon pump

Test readings

Postby nicknac » Thu 08 Jul, 2010 21:58

When I take test reading with my aqua chem test kit it tells me to take a sample and drop 5 drops in each tube. Compare color and after 5 minutes compare color for total chlorine level. My question is my total chlorine level is good at 5 minutes, but after 30 minutes to an hour the chlorine is all gone. Is this normal or does this mean I need more cyanuric acid to stabilize or shock it?? :problem:

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Test readings

Postby lbridges » Fri 09 Jul, 2010 17:52

Not to worry - that's normal.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Test readings

Postby chem geek » Sat 10 Jul, 2010 14:04

The chlorine tests are designed to be read within a minute or so and not to wait. However, the test kit you are using does not have the best chlorine test available. The best test kit is the Taylor K-2006 you can get here. It uses a FAS-DPD chlorine test where you count the drops and can measure accurately to within 0.2 ppm using a 25 ml sample or to within 0.5 ppm if using a 25 ml sample and can measure up to 50 ppm so is useful when shocking.

Return to “Chlorine”