Leaking Pump

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
wthompson
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 33,000 in ground, STA-Rite Pump, AO Smith Motor -SQ1202

Leaking Pump

Postby wthompson » Sat 10 Jul, 2010 17:35

Earlier this season I replaced a motor and the seals. Within about 3 weeks that motor was making a load screaming noise and leaking. I replaced both the motor and the seals again. Within about another 3 weeks the motor was leaking again. I took it apart several times trying to find the source of the leak but I could not. It would even leak when I filled the basket with the pump off.

I finally took the motor half of the pump to a local pump store and they replaced the seal. When I got home, I reassembled the pump and put water in the basket to prime the pump. Once again it started leaking before I had a chance to turn on the motor.

The leak is occuring from the area where the motor and the back half of the pump join. When motor is off, the leak is a steady small stream of water, when it was on it was almost like turning on a faucet.

I have lubericated everything with magic lub.

Any help would be appreciated.

riverdogg8899
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: my pool is kidney shaped and about 12,000 gallons

Leaking Pump

Postby riverdogg8899 » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 13:35

hello, post a picture of pump and I can gicve you some advice.

Good luck

wthompson wrote:Earlier this season I replaced a motor and the seals. Within about 3 weeks that motor was making a load screaming noise and leaking. I replaced both the motor and the seals again. Within about another 3 weeks the motor was leaking again. I took it apart several times trying to find the source of the leak but I could not. It would even leak when I filled the basket with the pump off.

I finally took the motor half of the pump to a local pump store and they replaced the seal. When I got home, I reassembled the pump and put water in the basket to prime the pump. Once again it started leaking before I had a chance to turn on the motor.

The leak is occuring from the area where the motor and the back half of the pump join. When motor is off, the leak is a steady small stream of water, when it was on it was almost like turning on a faucet.

I have lubericated everything with magic lub.

Any help would be appreciated.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Leaking Pump

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:01

Have you checked to see if your diffuser is correctly seated? This can cause the motor mount bracket to be off also, which will cause the leaking.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”