Brand new Hawyard Duralite burnt out in 1 second

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
papashaq
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: 18' x 36' Grecian, 4' to 9', pump, sand filter, all Hayward, and a no name chlorinator

Postby papashaq » Tue 13 Jul, 2010 09:52

Hi all, I have been getting my 3+ year neglected pool I bought on foreclosure up and running. I needed light parts for a Hayward SP 541 starlight that was a 300 watt 12v r 40 bulb light. But I couldn't get the parts I needed and had to buy the replacement light which was a Hayward SP571N50 300 watt 12v, no bulb size giving. So I put the light in and flipped the switch and it got real bright and the poof not working no more. No breakers tripped or GFI popped. Why would this happen? I am assuming that this type of light needs a transformer of some sort, which I am assuming is int he metal electrical box (that I can't get open) next to the switch. Can that transformer go bad and send too many volts to the light to cause it to burn out so fast? I am having a very hard time fining much information for wiring diagrams for either of this lights. Can anyone shed some light on my situation? Thanks, Jason

jerryH
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby jerryH » Sun 18 Jul, 2010 22:35

looks like its more than 12-14volts being applied to light.
turn off power, remove bulb, turn on, test with multimeter.
most likely wired wrong at transformer.

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”