brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
keithjackson
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: swintonic auto chlorinator .in ground .20x10 ft

Dirt and algie

Postby keithjackson » Sun 18 Jul, 2010 12:37

i often have a build up of dirt/algie in the bottom of the pool. i vacuum,and often find it back the next day. i have been getting rid of this by running the vac to waste. is this ok and normal? someone said that fine algie will bypass the fiters. i always backwash and rince when i clean. keith

ljmesg
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: Dirt and algie

Postby ljmesg » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 03:40

Bump an old post but hopefully can help. I have a 20k gallon inground with a new Hayward 150 carto filter. Have a bad mustard algae problem that will not go away. I did the vaccum ckean filter vaccum clean filter vaccum clean filter thing until my fingers bled to no avail.

I read that the algae lives on the filter so I needed to vaccum to waste to solve this. I raised my water level, removed the filter and bottom plug and opened my skimmer and open hole suction lines and closed off my return from filter line. I ran my pump and vaccumed all the now bleached out algae (from a good shock). The wster level came down 2 to 3 inches only and there was a ton of algae.

I hosed out my filter and replaced my plug and ran the system and added soda ash and chlorine to get my ph and alkalinity to proper levels.

I am going to repeat process today as Im sure I didn't get all the algae that poofed up into clouds. I bet I got 95%.

I was going to have a vac to waste valve put into my system but avoided this by doing what I did. Hipe rhis helps someone.

Now its all about balancing my water with proper chems to keep the dreaded algae at bay.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 05:17

Read this article on Mustard Algae for a better understanding and treatment
ljmesg
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: RE: Re: Dirt and algie

Postby ljmesg » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:48

Denniswiseman wrote:Read this article on Mustard Algae for a better understanding and treatment
I think this is not the article tou meant to post. Its a random thread I think.

Anyway, checked today and less algae but still exists like I thought. I did another vac to waste.

Put too much soda ash in so ph over 8 but my TA is 80ppm and ch bro is 3ppm.

Will adding muriatic acid lower ph but heep my TA and CH/bro levels the same?
ljmesg
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby ljmesg » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 11:05

Also, I usually vac through my skimmer. But I have this suction hole that is threaded in the side of my pool. (see pic)

2 skimmers, 3 out jets and the suction hole pictured below as well as a main drain.

My vac hose end is not threaded. I have used this hole to vac and it provides good pressure but I always feel like the hose is not secure.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180622/34e70dae336ecdf8a46363d1f22fd31a.jpg[/img]
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 12:24

ljmesg wrote:
Denniswiseman wrote:Read this article on Mustard Algae for a better understanding and treatment
I think this is not the article tou meant to post. Its a random thread I think.

Anyway, checked today and less algae but still exists like I thought. I did another vac to waste.

Put too much soda ash in so ph over 8 but my TA is 80ppm and ch bro is 3ppm.

Will adding muriatic acid lower ph but heep my TA and CH/bro levels the same?

That is not a random thread but a useful insight to treating mustard algae which if you had bothered to read and follow the links would have helped you defeat mustard algae
You are yo-yoing with random adding of chemicals, use Pool Maths to work out what and how much to add
Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

You will have to use muriatic acid to lower pH and TA then use bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 13:24

ch bro? which are you using chlorine or bromine? What is your stabiliser level if you are on chlorine? This is the most important chemical in your pool and dip strips are not accurate at stabiliser level.
What is your pool made of vinyl liner etc?
ljmesg
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby ljmesg » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 15:47

Teapot wrote:ch bro? which are you using chlorine or bromine? What is your stabiliser level if you are on chlorine? This is the most important chemical in your pool and dip strips are not accurate at stabiliser level.
What is your pool made of vinyl liner etc?

Chlorine. 3ppm now.
Not a vinyl liner. Blue painted pool walls popped and cracked all over.
ljmesg
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby ljmesg » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 15:50

Great post.
ljmesg
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Dirt and algie

Postby ljmesg » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 15:51

Alrighty
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 16:24

And your stabiliser (CYA) level is?
ljmesg
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby ljmesg » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 17:53

No CYA test.

I just added muriatic to reduce my ph...will report back in a bunch of hours.

Algae blooming like crazy after vac to waste. I dont think its pollen. It has to be mustard algae. I did read that thread with 4 posts on it.[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180622/6037b60e596e5d2d64e4cfa022c74ed9.jpg[/img]
ljmesg
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby ljmesg » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 21:44

So ph dead on 7.2.
Cl dead on 3ppm
Alkalinity dripped from 80ppm to 60ppm

Will report after I virw in the morning how much mustard algae remains.

I will vac whatever is i therento waste and go from there.

Addi g water right now as well...I am at skimmer level.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 23:29

The pH doesn't matter in the presence of CYA stabiliser provided it's more than 6.9. CYA is the most important level in a pool so you need an accurate test for it.
ljmesg
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby ljmesg » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 08:58

Teapot wrote:The pH doesn't matter in the presence of CYA stabiliser provided it's more than 6.9. CYA is the most important level in a pool so you need an accurate test for it.

I have to buy a test kit for CYA.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”