Need help to post questions properly for pool info

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Arctic Frost
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Peppletech with Triton II sand pump TR100? Newbie and will add info as I figure out what I have

Postby Arctic Frost » Fri 23 Jul, 2010 17:09

Hello Friends -

I am looking forward to using these forums to train myself on how to maintain my own pool. I'm about as novice as it gets for I'm from Alaska and there's not much use for in ground pools up there. I have bought a beautiful home in Arizona from people who left the pool and home in excellent condition. I even have the manual for the pool. Here's my dilemma:

The manual is for all types of pools, not just ours. I have test kit but only for Ph and CL. I want to get myself informed so I get the best use out of these forums. I read the welcome message and what to list - "problem. . . Ph. . .Th . . ."

Can someone recommend a test kit that will give me all those specs? I'm not sure how big my pool is, what's the best way to figure out an odd shaped pool? My terminology is wretched, therefore I should stay in this "Basics" forum until I get more knowledgeable, is this correct? Ugh, I'm forgetting what the rest of that list asks for when describing my pool. Any advice to get me on the right track in proper etiquette for these forums would be greatly appreciated.

Problem - I'm getting a high CL reading and my test kit says don't trust the Ph level until the CL level lowers. I'm assuming I can just wait out the CL level. My concern is the Ph level is high, is it okay to wait until the CL comes down then take a reading on the Ph again?

Ph - 8.2
CL - 3.0
Pool type : Pebbletech
Pump type: Triton II sand thingy (TR100, if that means something)
Pump gauge: 10 PSI (exactly)
Size of pool: I'm guessing about 320,000 gallons but I have no idea if I calculated right

I forget the rest of the list but I'll copy that for future use. If it matters, the previous owners have every single thing up to date on the maintenance of this house. I'm assuming they left the pool in the same condition. It's wonderfully clear and all the little basket thingys look all cleared out.

Thank you!!!
Arctic Frost

Drat- I'm incapable of writing a concise note. Will that anger folks?

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Fri 06 Aug, 2010 08:21

Arctic Frost wrote:Hello Friends -

I am looking forward to using these forums to train myself on how to maintain my own pool. I'm about as novice as it gets for I'm from Alaska and there's not much use for in ground pools up there. I have bought a beautiful home in Arizona from people who left the pool and home in excellent condition. I even have the manual for the pool. Here's my dilemma:

The manual is for all types of pools, not just ours. I have test kit but only for Ph and CL. I want to get myself informed so I get the best use out of these forums. I read the welcome message and what to list - "problem. . . Ph. . .Th . . ."

Can someone recommend a test kit that will give me all those specs? I'm not sure how big my pool is, what's the best way to figure out an odd shaped pool? My terminology is wretched, therefore I should stay in this "Basics" forum until I get more knowledgeable, is this correct? Ugh, I'm forgetting what the rest of that list asks for when describing my pool. Any advice to get me on the right track in proper etiquette for these forums would be greatly appreciated.

Problem - I'm getting a high CL reading and my test kit says don't trust the Ph level until the CL level lowers. I'm assuming I can just wait out the CL level. My concern is the Ph level is high, is it okay to wait until the CL comes down then take a reading on the Ph again?

Ph - 8.2
CL - 3.0
Pool type : Pebbletech
Pump type: Triton II sand thingy (TR100, if that means something)
Pump gauge: 10 PSI (exactly)
Size of pool: I'm guessing about 320,000 gallons but I have no idea if I calculated right

I forget the rest of the list but I'll copy that for future use. If it matters, the previous owners have every single thing up to date on the maintenance of this house. I'm assuming they left the pool in the same condition. It's wonderfully clear and all the little basket thingys look all cleared out.

Thank you!!!
Arctic Frost

Drat- I'm incapable of writing a concise note. Will that anger folks?

Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a pool!

-First off, your pH level is way too high. You are going to have to add a few cups of acid or pH down in order to get this corrected. pH is extremely important to keeping a clean & clear pool.

-As for test kits, the best test kit for you to get would be a Taylor K-2005 or Taylor K-2006 HERE. Both will test for just about everything, unless you have a salt chlorine pool. Then you will need some strips that test for that HERE.

-It would be hard to believe your pool is 320,000 gallons. Even though it may appear huge, almost all residential pools sit between 10,000 - 40,000 gallons. We have a calculator HERE along with a bunch of useful tips you are more than welcome to use! Also, there is another website with a calculator that you can punch in your chemical readings, it will in-turn tell you the exact dosage to correct the chemicals HERE.

I hope this helps!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”