New pool owner with questions regarding High TA and PH

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
tammyinmo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground pool 15' x 4'
Intek filter that came with pool
Intek salt system

Postby tammyinmo » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 17:24

We have well water, hence, the High TA levels that are so high they are beyond the capability of the paper to tell us exactly what they are. The PH was just a little too high. We are using an Intek saltwater system to sanitize the pool. It is their new one that also has copper ionization. I'd like to use something that is less toxic to lower the PH. I thought perhaps vinegar or citric acid would work. I have both. Our pool is not large. It is only 15' x 4'. Has anyone else ever used vinegar or citric acid to adjust the ph levels of a small pool? I read about using vinegar for a hot tub.

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 17:45

I presume your concern is with the smell, fuming and burn potential of muratic acid.

Given that you are using a SWG I would not recommend anything else since the chemicals in water acid you choose (like vinegar, etc.) might put a coating on the plates of the SWG and make it fail early.

In many locations (including my local HD and Lowes stores) you can get non-fuming muratic acid - it's really just half-strength - but it is easier to handle. Remember add acid to water, not water to acid, and I recommend you start with a bucket of pool water, poor the acid in that, then pour into the pool.

Two other points. 1 - The SWG will tend to drive up the pH, it's just a part of how they work. And 2 - the usual way to get TA down is to put enough acid in to get the pH down to the 7.0-7.2 range and aerate (fountain, pointing the retun from filter up as much as possible, etc.).

Eventually the TA will drop and it will then slow down the demand for acid.

Finally, hopefully someone spoke to you about stabilizer since you won't be using the tablets...and the need to watch pH - high pH with a copper systems is what causes blonds to get green hair.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”