Help w/ Chlorine loss

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
gto
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18K gallon inground gunite / liq chlorine treated /Hayward NG heater / Hayward VF 2.7 HP w/ ProLogic Automation / Pentair WhisperFlo 1.5 HP Booster / Pentair Purex 2000 DE Filter

Help w/ Chlorine loss

Postby gto » Tue 27 Jul, 2010 11:48

That is exactly how I did it, so I'm good on my test.
my morning numbers using DPD are:
FC: 5.5
CC: 0.5
TC: 6.0

My read last night was with a K1000, so I probably underestimated. Doesnt appear as if there was any loss in the dark.

Will add some CYA today

gto
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18K gallon inground gunite / liq chlorine treated /Hayward NG heater / Hayward VF 2.7 HP w/ ProLogic Automation / Pentair WhisperFlo 1.5 HP Booster / Pentair Purex 2000 DE Filter

Help w/ Chlorine loss

Postby gto » Tue 27 Jul, 2010 16:42

UPDATE:

2:40 pm

Thought I'd wait a bit, Did not add the CYA, & the TC is still holding at 5.0 in bright 75 deg. sunlight.
looks like more testing is needed before any additions. Cant tell ya how good some stability feels like after this weirdness.
gto
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Help w/ Chlorine loss

Postby gto » Tue 27 Jul, 2010 21:47

UPDATE:

7 pm / Since last test, 2/3 pool in Sun, 1/3 shade during that duration (Avg temp 75)

FC 2.25
CC <.25

10:30 pm - Levels unchanged

So I'm showing no change at night, & a 3.0 loss during the day

Richard, my CYA is 28ppm, Capacity 18K. Based on these results & my conditions, can you throw a number at me as to what you think my optimum CYA should be, or do we do more testing here?
Based on what I'm seeing, I'm not gonna add any Chlorine tonight.

This is the shade coverage I have most all day . . big tree
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Help w/ Chlorine loss

Postby chem geek » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 01:33

A higher CYA will result in less chlorine loss, even proportionately raising the FC level to keep the FC/CYA ratio constant (for consistent prevention of algae). Normally, 50 ppm is OK so you could try that. Only in very hot sunny climates would you go up to 80 ppm. The main problem at higher CYA levels is IF there is any problem from having the FC get too low, then it takes a lot more chlorine to reach shock levels to kill off any algae. Of course, maintaining the proper FC level prevents algae. See the Chlorine / CYA chart in the Pool School for the appropriate FC level for each CYA level.

By the way, that's a nice looking pool you have.
gto
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Help w/ Chlorine loss

Postby gto » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 01:45

yeah, I understand the chart & the tradeoffs. I guess if I dont mind dosing often, & on a more frequent basis, I could stick with a lower number, & in return have less chlorine in the water. Might be better for the swimmers. Ima gonna bring up that number tomorrow. I really appreciate your help on this, & thanks on the compliment. It's a great backyard. Will be even better some day when I get a re-plaster job done. My next items are a new variable spd pump, & led lighting. Both are crusty. Then I have a leak to deal with . . guess it's just the price of the homeowner. I work, & evryone gets to play.
& Love the test kit you recommend on the boards. I feel so in control now. THX!
gto
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Help w/ Chlorine loss

Postby gto » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 01:54

lovin the kit!

The fence I just built

The dog house behind it . . . yes, it's got HVAC

The pup who lives in it :D

gto
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Help w/ Chlorine loss

Postby gto » Thu 29 Jul, 2010 22:49

So check this out.
My CYA was approx. 28. I was losing 2ppm FC in during the day, 0 at night.
I completed the sock CYA addition to skimmer this morning. It was in there for 24hrs till dissolved, & I started the process Wed. morning. I calculated & added an amount to bring it to 40. I then raised my FC to 4.5 on Wed. morning at start of sock in skimmer, thereafter made no additions. I tested using DPD later that night, no change, the next morning, no change, this evening, no change. I'm now getting FC 4.0, CC .5. This is after 2 75 deg. sunny days, & yesterday I heated up the pool to 86 & had 4 kids swimming in it for 3 hours. Water temp now is 79.
Maybe you can enlighten me as to why no loss, & I'm not making any testing errors.
One more thing . . My PH adjusted itself from 7.6 last night, to 7.2 today, & pump was running 24hrs during CYA addition, 9hrs today. Eyeballs were down, but lotsa splashing yesterday. Water appears clear & no smell, although I did smell the chlorine quite a bit when we heated the spa to 100+ last night. Whats goin on here? Where are the normal losses?

lol! I go from total loss to nothing. Maybe I need to change the tread title :?
gto
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Help w/ Chlorine loss

Postby gto » Fri 30 Jul, 2010 14:05

Finally made a drop

11 am
fc: 3.0ppm
cc: 0

Return to “Chlorine”