Brown stains on the floor of the concrete pool??

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Northern Virginia pool

Brown stains on the floor of the concrete pool??

Postby Northern Virginia pool » Thu 15 Jun, 2006 20:51

Hi everyone, I am new here so forgive me if post this wrong. :)

I am a new pool owner and have owned this pool for a little over a year. For the first season, the pool was crystal clear and beautiful with no stains anywhere.

On a side note, the pool was resurfaced just before last pool season.

This season, we seem to have brown (dirt looking) stains in the deep end of the pool around the drains. We do not have any metal things in the pool like ladders or metal covers over the drains, so I don't think it is rust. This will not scrub off the bottom with a brush and I have treated for algie and the stains got worse, so I don't think it is algie.

If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciat it. It is driving me crazy because it makes the pool look so dirty.

If you can help, please feel free to email me if that is easier for you.
jjackson1313@gmail.com

Thanks everyone and have a great summer!!! :)

bradfir

Re: Brown stains on the floor of the concrete pool??

Postby bradfir » Tue 04 Jul, 2006 11:54

Northern Virginia pool wrote:Hi everyone, I am new here so forgive me if post this wrong. :)

I am a new pool owner and have owned this pool for a little over a year. For the first season, the pool was crystal clear and beautiful with no stains anywhere.

On a side note, the pool was resurfaced just before last pool season.

This season, we seem to have brown (dirt looking) stains in the deep end of the pool around the drains. We do not have any metal things in the pool like ladders or metal covers over the drains, so I don't think it is rust. This will not scrub off the bottom with a brush and I have treated for algie and the stains got worse, so I don't think it is algie.

If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciat it. It is driving me crazy because it makes the pool look so dirty.

If you can help, please feel free to email me if that is easier for you.
jjackson1313@gmail.com

Thanks everyone and have a great summer!!! :)

Did you ever get your question answered? I am having the same problem.
saildude

Same here

Postby saildude » Wed 05 Jul, 2006 09:17

I am having the same issue - but it is caused by Acorns! I switched over to a copper injection system and as no clorine - now the stains are here!
Weeniehead
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Weeniehead » Fri 21 Jul, 2006 17:53

I work for a major pool builder and see this issue every day.

What you are describing is what is known as Dirt Scale.

Basically, a thin layer of calcium buildup has trapped the dirt on the surface of the pool. This is the reason you cannot brush it away. It's sort of like painting a coat of polyurethane over a spot of dirt on the wall. Unless you break down that calcium buildup, that dirt is not going to go away.

Most people only pay attention to how clear the water looks. If the water is clear, the water chemistry is good. It's not as simple as that, but it is easy.

If you don't already have one, get to your pool supply store and purchase a chemical test kit. The test strips will work, but if you want a more accurate test result, get a kit that includes the drops.

Once you have a test kit, you will want to test the water at least 2-3 times a week. The most important things to pay attention to are PH, Total Alkalinity and Hardness. It is important to keep the PH around 7.2-7.6 to avoid the buildup your seeing.

BTW, there is a very simply way to get rid of that scale. It will take some time but it will work if you put the time and effort into it. All you need to do is drop your PH level to about 6.8-7.0 and BRUSH BRUSH BRUSH. Test the water even more frequently during the process. Like I said, you probably won't notice any improvement right away, but over the course of a few weeks, it will start to fade away.

If you want a "quick fix", you can contact a pool service company (one who knows what they are doing) and they can drain the pool and do an acid wash which will do the same thing as the first method, only faster.

Good Luck!

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”