green cloudy pool water... HELP

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 13:07

Connie346 wrote:OK, to clarify, 32oz Poolife phosphate remover and 32 oz SeaKlear Phosphate remover were added to the pool on 2 different days once last week and once this week. Also 4# stabilized chlorinate granules (sodium dichlor) were added last week. In addition we added 4 gal of 12.5% chlorine on 2 or 3 different occasions. No improvement.

However, today after adding a total of 15 gal of 12.5% chlorine in a 24 hr. period we are seeing an improvement....water has a blue hue, green seems to be more toward center/bottom drain.....we are excited to see this as it has been 2 1/2 weeks since it has looked this good ( and it doesn't look good yet, but I am encouraged). What to do next???? pH looks good at around 7.8 (may still be high due to shock), OTO test shows burnt orange color (still waiting for my Taylor kit)....we don't want to step back now since we see impovement. Should we add the 6-8" of replacement water now, (it is well water, which may contain iron/NOT city water)?? Should we add more chlorine tonight to be sure it stays high (sunny and 80 here today)??? Or do we just continue to filter and let the existing chlorine level work??? I appreciate all the posts, and am taking all opinions into account.....please advise if you can......thanks!!

you were stating before you had a "93" CYA, we'll call this 95 just because like ibridges said, it's impossible to know the in-between number other than halfway between 90-100. You keep adding "stabilized" granular. "stabilized" is just another way of saying "conditioner" or CYA. Adding more of that in your pool is only raising your CYA which is why you have the need for such high FC levels to effectively kill algae. I would recommend since you arent going to drain and replace, to only use your liquid chlorine until your FC is met with the CYA levels. also, a 7.8 pH is on the border for being too high. you don't want this as you will start destroying the pool surface and equipment as well as start affecting the alkalinity levels. This needs to be brought down with some muriatic acid or whatever form you have (sulfuric, pH down, etc...). Every time you add liquid chlorine or bleach, you are raising your pH levels, so this needs to be done at the same time, every time. Make sure when you have your effective FC levels, that you are holding them there until the algae is COMPLETELY dead, or all the money you have just spent will be wasted and you'll start over again. Yes, you should add the replacement water as you will be dilluting the issue some, however, you will need to chlorinate that immediately since it will also dilute the chlorine levels.

Until the algae problem is fixed, you should quit putting more phosphate remover in your pool as you should be working on killing the problem you have rather than preventing it later (it's just pouring money down the drain...or pool however you look at it).

Also, make sure you are running your filter system the whole time until this problem clears up. Sanitation is always #2 after filtration!

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 17:46

Considering we were disagreeing about the subject before, I should say I agree with everything in the above post.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 15:51

swimnsaveusa wrote:
Connie346 wrote:Every time you add liquid chlorine or bleach, you are raising your pH levels, so this needs to be done at the same time, every time.

I also agree with what was written though the above needs some clarification. Though it is true that adding a hypochlorite source of chlorine (bleach, chlorinating liquid, Cal-Hypo, lithium hypochlorite) will raise the pH upon addition, the pH will drop as the chlorine gets used up since this is an acidic process. You end up close to where you started except for the small amount of excess lye in bleach and chlorinating liquid (some brands have more excess lye than others). So while I would normally recommend lowering the pH down to around 7.2 before shocking with a hypochlorite source of chlorine, ongoing use of chlorine should not require very much acid addition (I only add acid once every month or two and use 12.5% chlorinating liquid at an average rate of around 1 ppm FC per day). If the pH is seen to rise too much over time, then this is most likely due to the Total Alkalinity (TA) being too high since that increases the rate of outgassing of carbon dioxide which raises the pH (essentially, carbonic acid is removed from the water).
danneva
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby danneva » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 02:19

Green algae is a common swimming pool problem, which may appear as a greenish growth on the floor and walls of a swimming pool, a green tint to the pool water, or greenish material suspended in the pool water. The only swimming pool chemical that will kill an algae growth is chlorine based swimming pool is “shock”. But algae reoccurrences happen in a swimming pool because the algae were not completely eradicated when treated. Sometimes poor or misdirected pool water circulation can prevent the pool chemicals from removing all of the algae. When treating a swim pool for algae, it is important that all parts of the pool receive a dose of algaecide. Some of the many types of algae can exist outside the pool and will reinfest the water when brought back in contact with the water. You must also use the recommended dosage of algaecide called for by the manufacturer or risk not killing all the algae even though you do not see any. It is recommended that you follow up with a maintenance dosage of algaecide to keep the algae from reappearing. It is important to note that the algaecide used to kill existing algae may not be the same algaecide you use for preventative maintenance. Another major cause of reoccurring algae, especially if it keeps appearing in the same places, is poor circulation. When treating for existing algae, run your system for 24 hours a day until completely gone. Another way to increase the area of circulation is to run your automatic cleaner. Even when the pool is not dirty, it helps to bring clean, chemically treated water to all nooks and crannies of your pool. Swimmers do a great job of moving water around your pool, too.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 21:31

danneva wrote:The only swimming pool chemical that will kill an algae growth is chlorine based swimming pool “shock”. But algae reoccurrences happen in a swimming pool because the algae were not completely eradicated when treated.

"Shock" is a verb, not a noun. There is no such thing as chlorine "shock" in spite of that name being added to chlorine products. Chlorine is chlorine -- they are the same ingredients in "shock" as in regular chlorine products. One can prevent algae in a pool by simply maintaining an appropriate Free Chlorine (FC) level relative to the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level, roughly an FC that is at least 7.5% of the CYA level in manually dosed pools (around 5% in SWG pools).
Connie346

Postby Connie346 » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 22:53

Thank you all for the help! To update: (from my own Taylor kit): FC now 22 (yesterday 35), CC 1, TC 23, pH 7.4, CYA 70-75. MY pool water is no longer green at all, cloudy/milky blue...it's trying to clear. I am seeing improvement over the last 48 hours. Still running filter 24/7 x 3 weeks now, without swimming :(
We have vac/backflushed pool nightly x 3, clarity is improving, though we still cannot see vac head on bottom yet. There has been what looks like brown stuff near the center/bottom drain which comes up easily with the vac. I am hopeful tomorrow we will see the bottom. What to do next....do I want to add an algaecide?? From your calculations I feel I need a fC of around 6...is this so, is the water safe for swimmers at this level?? What about 3" tabs...save them for next year and use only liquid?? I am close to Chicago and we only have 1 month left of swimming season....any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks again!!
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 23:02

Connie346 wrote:Thank you all for the help! To update: (from my own Taylor kit): FC now 22 (yesterday 35), CC 1, TC 23, pH 7.4, CYA 70-75. MY pool water is no longer green at all, cloudy/milky blue...it's trying to clear. I am seeing improvement over the last 48 hours. Still running filter 24/7 x 3 weeks now, without swimming :(
We have vac/backflushed pool nightly x 3, clarity is improving, though we still cannot see vac head on bottom yet. There has been what looks like brown stuff near the center/bottom drain which comes up easily with the vac. I am hopeful tomorrow we will see the bottom. What to do next....do I want to add an algaecide?? From your calculations I feel I need a fC of around 6...is this so, is the water safe for swimmers at this level?? What about 3" tabs...save them for next year and use only liquid?? I am close to Chicago and we only have 1 month left of swimming season....any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks again!!

Once the problem clears up, you should work on getting that CYA and FC level down to 30-50ppm and 3ppm respectively. If you were to swim at a FC level of 22 right now, you will end up bleaching out your swim wear/toys, etc... If you are trying to make a quick temporary fix to the clarity, you may want to look into using a clarifier or flocculent to speed the process up. (still recommend lowering those FC levels before entering). You may also want to completely take your D.E. filter apart and cleaning all the spent D.E. after this is all said and done to prevent contaminants from re-entering your swimming pool (backwashing only removes 90% of spent D.E.). You mentioned the word "safe" regarding your FC levels...if you mean safe as in will it harm you, likely not, however, you may feel a little burn as this is an extremely high level of chlorine! Hopefully this clears up quite quickly so you may enjoy your swimming pool for the last month of the season! :thumbup:
Connie346

Postby Connie346 » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 23:47

Thanks for your advice...what about algaecide use?? Is is necessary? Also, we have a 200# sand filter with new sand as of 2-3 weeks ago, is this ok?
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 23:52

Connie346 wrote:Thanks for your advice...what about algaecide use?? Is is necessary? Also, we have a 200# sand filter with new sand as of 2-3 weeks ago, is this ok?

I don't think you will need an algaecide, you said the only issue at the moment was cloudy water, right? Also, disregard needing to backwash as a sand filter works better the dirtier they are. You may want to try a little "trick" of adding once scoop of D.E. powder into the skimmer while the pump is running as this added D.E. will actually filter even smaller contaminants then plain sand would. Replacement of the sand is NOT necessary as it's too expensive to waste after a few weeks like that, and Sand in a sand filter is good for about 5 years!

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”