Greenish Pool Water. Please Help!

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
sailor21
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 25' x 8' with 6' Dia Jacuzzi
Hayward EcoStar Pump
Hayward Aqua Plus system with SWG

Postby sailor21 » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 08:58

Hello!

I have an approx. 6,000 gal in-ground, white plaster pool with a round jacuzzi and a cascade (2ft drop) from jacuzzi to pool.

Last month I added a whole bottle of 50% Algaeciede before leaving for a 1 week trip (pool chemicals were not in balance due to a lot of rain).

Upon return, I find that there is foaming where cascade falls and a lot of residual algae in the foam, the water smelled like cleaning detergent and was light green in color.

Went to the Pool Store and had a sample analyzed. Pool was completely our of balance. After adding all the chemicals as directed and cleaning the DE filter, tested the water (liquid test kit 5-in-one) and it is now balanced. Please note that I also tested with a 6-way strip and the Hardness level is very high.

The water is now crystal clear and in balance, high hardness and still greenish and producing foam (a lot less though).

Please help!

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 14:27

Some algaecides, especially when used in excess of recommended values, can produce foam. It will slowly go away.

As to the greenish tint - you should post up a complete set of test numbers.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 14:37

lbridges wrote:Some algaecides, especially when used in excess of recommended values, can produce foam. It will slowly go away.

As to the greenish tint - you should post up a complete set of test numbers.

This is absolutely correct. This is from algaecides known as "linear quats", which are basically made with....soap! From now on, if you are to use algaecides, it is recommended to use "poly quats" which do not have the foaming characteristic! The foam will eventually go away as it breaks down, so it's nothing to worry about too much.
sailor21
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
Hayward EcoStar Pump

Postby sailor21 » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 17:24

Thanks for the help!

I just tested the water and here are the results (please note it rained today and the water gets very warm in Puerto Rico):

Free Chlorine- 1.5ppm
Combined Chlorine- 1.8ppm
Bromine- 3ppm
Ph- 7.6ppm
Acid Demand- 1/2cup
Total Alkalinity- 130ppm

the Algicide used was Pool Time, Algicide 50%

The test strip shows high for Hardness, water is crystal clear and greenish in color.

Hope it helps
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 17:29

I really hope you aren't using chlorine and bromine in the pool and hot tub if they are combined on the same system, that's a disaster waiting to happen!
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 18:01

swimnsaveusa wrote:I really hope you aren't using chlorine and bromine in the pool and hot tub if they are combined on the same system, that's a disaster waiting to happen!

That a fact.

And in the case of chlorine - the number for chlorine is very low unless there is zero stabilizer (also know as CYA - found as a separate product and in Trichlor tablets and Dichlor granular). And if there really is zero CYA, then it's easy to lose all that amount of chlorine in a single day. That would mean the algae would never get totally killed off.
sailor21
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
Hayward EcoStar Pump

Postby sailor21 » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 18:09

No hot tub. The water just gets quite warm from sunlight.

What could be the problem? Solution?

Thanks for the help!
sailor21
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
Hayward EcoStar Pump

Postby sailor21 » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 09:36

Sorry for the Bromine reading, I just posted all possible tests the kit has (rookie mistake).

The foaming has reduced significantly since balancing the water. So I'll just wait for it to go away on its own.

How about the greenish water? What can be the problem or testing alternatives?

As a note, August is the start of the hottest season in the Caribbean. Last year my pool went out of whack at the same period. Could water temperature be part of the problem?

Please help!

Thanks!
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 11:04

sailor21 wrote:Sorry for the Bromine reading, I just posted all possible tests the kit has (rookie mistake).

The foaming has reduced significantly since balancing the water. So I'll just wait for it to go away on its own.

How about the greenish water? What can be the problem or testing alternatives?

As a note, August is the start of the hottest season in the Caribbean. Last year my pool went out of whack at the same period. Could water temperature be part of the problem?

Please help!

Thanks!

Your chlorine levels are too low. You need to increase your chlorine levels to the proper level of 3ppm, make sure your CYA levels are in range as they keep the sun from dissipating your chlorine quickly (without it, the sun will kill your chlorine levels in a day in the summer). Also, run your filter non-stop until the problem is cleared up. After the problem is cleared up, it is recommended to run your filter at least 8 hours a day especially during the summer as the heat will also speed up algal growth.
sailor21
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
Hayward EcoStar Pump

Postby sailor21 » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 09:24

Well, it worked!

I added 2 lbs of granular chlorine and it started clearing the water immediately. Left the pump running overnight to allow for chlorine to work and this morning the water was back to clear.

Thanks so much for the help!
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:16

Enjoy the remainder of your swim season! Happy to be of assistance!

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”