Water Chemistry Spot on but still a 'milky' haze to my water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
smcrea
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby smcrea » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 15:43

Hi,

I'm not a total novice when it comes to looking after my pool and actually pride myself on keeping my water chemistry pretty much spot on.

Currently I'm at:
- Maintain an FC = 4ppm
- Combined Chlorine = 0ppm
- TA = 100pm
- Ph = 7.6
- SWG salt level 3500ppmwintewr
- TDS: Water is only 18 months old and we had a lot of rainfall last winter so I don't think my TDS is high

However I'm experiencing a water clarity problem that has me scratching my head. My water has a slight 'milky' haze to it. It's not it's sparkling text book example of pool water that I usually maintain.

Yesterday I cleaned my cartridge filters which I have to say were unusually dirty..maybe I let it go to long. Bit I normally clean every 3 months. I adjusted my Ph to 7.6 and I then shocked the pool with a chlorine shock. I have a 10K gallon pool and the shock instructions said that the 1Ib bag was good for 16K gallons. I broadcast last night and left the filter pump running.

This morning I re-checked Ph which had gone high (probably due to the shock) and adjusted back down to 7.6

However at lunchtime my water still has the 'milky' haze?

I suspect that my daughter went in at the weekend with to much sun blocker. This is a possible cause but cant be sure.

I'm a firm believer that you don't need the junk that pool shops try to sell and if you maintain a good water chemistry, sanitizer level and good filtration that you will have no problems. I also think that for everything you put in your pool there are two reactions. The one that is supposed to happen and also a none desirable side effect. So I do not want to start adding things like clarifiers unless I have to.

However now I'm scratching my head. I would really welcome some ideas. I know from past experience that the folks on this forum are extremely knowledgeable and I've learn't a lot from you.,

Thanks,

Steve

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 18:09

This is a guess pending other input, but my guess is that your shock of the pool produced a kill of some algae that was lurking somewhere in the pool system.

Continued filtering and maintenance of chlorine level should clean the pool up (more than usual filter cleaning is called for as well). Swimnsaveusa has been pretty active here - PM and ask if a chemical flocculation is recommended (I've never used one, just read that it might be helpful).
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 11:32

lbridges wrote:This is a guess pending other input, but my guess is that your shock of the pool produced a kill of some algae that was lurking somewhere in the pool system.

Continued filtering and maintenance of chlorine level should clean the pool up (more than usual filter cleaning is called for as well). Swimnsaveusa has been pretty active here - PM and ask if a chemical flocculation is recommended (I've never used one, just read that it might be helpful).

There shouldn't be a need for the flocculent yet. Have you tried taking your filter apart, completely cleaning it, then running the system 24 hours? Also, in the future, use shock composed of Calcium Hypochlorite rather then DyChlor which will only bump your pH out of norm. That milky water may only be the dead algae floating around in the pool, with your filter being too dirty to effectively remove more of it. HERE is something to think about when running your pool filter that may not cross most pool owner's minds regarding pump run time! Let us know if this helps!

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”