Cloudy water with a hint of green

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
chrishawn416

Postby chrishawn416 » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 14:10

We are new to the pool scene. We have a 15x36 round above ground easy set intex pool. Pool had not been swam in for 4 days. Solar cover left on and filter left running. Chlorine floater in water also. Water was fine last time we swam. But yesterday when I took cover off after that 4 days of no swimming, pool appears cloudy with a hint of green to it. I tested chlorine with my aqua chem tester where you put the 5 drops in each tube. chlorine was sky high (over the 5 rating) probably closer to 7 or so. PH was extremely low. After the 5 PH drops the tube water appeared yellowish instead of the purplish/pink. I always thought algae couldn't grow if chlorine was normal or higher. Pool water was only 80 degrees too. We have taken cover off, took out floater, put a new filter in pump. So don't know what to do. Are we doing what we should or should we do something else??

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 14:21

chrishawn416 wrote:We are new to the pool scene. We have a 15x36 round above ground easy set intex pool. Pool had not been swam in for 4 days. Solar cover left on and filter left running. Chlorine floater in water also. Water was fine last time we swam. But yesterday when I took cover off after that 4 days of no swimming, pool appears cloudy with a hint of green to it. I tested chlorine with my aqua chem tester where you put the 5 drops in each tube. chlorine was sky high (over the 5 rating) probably closer to 7 or so. PH was extremely low. After the 5 PH drops the tube water appeared yellowish instead of the purplish/pink. I always thought algae couldn't grow if chlorine was normal or higher. Pool water was only 80 degrees too. We have taken cover off, took out floater, put a new filter in pump. So don't know what to do. Are we doing what we should or should we do something else??

To start, I would get a Taylor K-2005 or K-2006 test kit, they provide much more accurate results. You said your pH was extremely low, this will most definitely cause cloudiness as your water is now acidic! Also, what are your CYA levels? You should not have a 5-7ppm chlorine if your CYA is within normal range, as it should be somewhere around 3ppm. You should be running your filter about 8 hours a day, straight. That should keep any algae and cloudy contaminants out of your pool too!
chrishawn416

Postby chrishawn416 » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 14:37

What is CYA levels? Do you think leaving the solar cover on continious for 4 days (filter pump had ran the whole time 24 hrs a day with only one shut off of over night--that was the day before I took cover off) caused the problem?
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 14:54

chrishawn416 wrote:What is CYA levels? Do you think leaving the solar cover on continious for 4 days (filter pump had ran the whole time 24 hrs a day with only one shut off of over night--that was the day before I took cover off) caused the problem?

CYA stands for cyanuric acid. Also known as stabilizer or conditioner. This can be found in your "stabilized" chlorine tablets, as well as other products such as granular or dychlor and purchased separately. A CYA level too low will allow the sun to neutralize chlorine at an extremely fast rate quickly depleting your chlorine levels within a days time. Also, CYA levels too high will cause the need for much higher levels of chlorine to effectively sanitize your pool. pH and Total Alkalinity levels are also extremely important to maintain as they will cause cloudy water and algae problems, so CYA, pH & TA are extremely important to maintain as well as FC (free chlorine). Combined Chlorine should be kept at 0ppm as this is really "spent" chlorine that is no longer effective, usually giving off the chlorine smell. To get your combined chlorine reading, you subtract FC - TC. Your solar cover shouldn't be the cause of your algae problem & you may only need to run your system about 8 hours a day. More likely than anything, as soon as you correct your pH levels, the pool should clear up quite quickly!
chrishawn416

Postby chrishawn416 » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 15:32

The PH levels wouldn't even register they are so low. Like I said, after putting the PH drops in the water to be tested in the tube it is suppose to be a purplish/pink, but its not even close, its a yellowish. But I also know if you your ppm of chlorine is over 5 it says that your PH will be incorrect. The algae is only sitting on the bottom it seems. I took a broom to sweep the bottom and you can see the yellowish roll across the bottom of the pool floor. Should I bring up the PH with something to get rid of the problem, super chlorinate it with liquid chlorine to get rid of algae or what should I do. I don't think chlorine is being burned up too fast being the chlorine level is so high, the cover had remained on pool for 4 days, so sun wasn't able to get to water/chlorine. We have never had cover on that long and no one swim for that many days at one time with the chlorine floater in. So I figured it would be a little high, but I was quit surprised by the cloudiness and greenish appearance on the bottom of pool floor. We have never had any problems like this before and this is our first year having a pool. Cover has been off pool since last night. So I thought maybe sun would help burn off some of the chlorine today, but it is cloudy and it rained a little bit here today, so that hasn't worked so far. I tested it a few minutes ago, but it is still the same. I don't understand how there could even be algae when chlorine level is so high.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 15:37

are your pool returns (jets) pointed at the top of the water, or are they shooting down to the floor of the pool? Sometimes, they are pointed up, which will cause only the top third of the pool to get chlorine, while the bottom 2/3 of the pool remains completely un-sanitized known as a "dead spot". This could also very well be your algae problem on the bottom of your pool. Regarding your pH, I would correct this issue, I do not think the chlorine level is affecting it. The way chlorine has an effect on pH is when you add a lot of liquid chlorine or bleach, and do not counter with acid as chlorine is high in pH.
chrishawn416

Postby chrishawn416 » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 16:02

Yep... we had our out jet pointing kind of sideways to circulate the water around, so my husband just went out and turned the jet to point downward. We are also taking a sample of water over to our pool store to see what they recommend to do since we aren't totally sure. Thanks for your help though!
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 16:17

chrishawn416 wrote:Yep... we had our out jet pointing kind of sideways to circulate the water around, so my husband just went out and turned the jet to point downward. We are also taking a sample of water over to our pool store to see what they recommend to do since we aren't totally sure. Thanks for your help though!

Be cautious when you go. A lot of times, they will sell you all kinds of chemicals you don't even need to correct the issue just because they can. Most likely they will try to send you home with a bottle of algaecide, flocculent and other chemicals when all you will need is some soda ash, proper circulation and chlorine levels to do the same!
dscriterium
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dscriterium » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 21:41

Chris,

I would confirm that pH test by taking a sample to a pool store if that's feasible. I have no reason to doubt your test but the cause for your pH to be that low is not clear. If you get confirmation your pH is that low, then simply bring it up into the 7.2-7.8 range using 20 Mule team Borax....it's available at most grocery stores in the laundry additives. I'd put it in in small increments...about 2 oz each time. You can test every 30 minutes until you get it around the range above.

Once your pH is in the right place we can work on the chlorine

As an alternative (and this would be my choice), you can simply dump the pool and start over. Put a little Clorox in it when you dump it and clean it and your refill will be crystal clear.

If you chose to do this, post back and let me know.....we can keep it crystal clear on the cheap for the rest of the summer. :D
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 21:48

dscriterium wrote:Chris,

As an alternative (and this would be my choice), you can simply dump the pool and start over. Put a little Clorox in it when you dump it and clean it and your refill will be crystal clear.

If you chose to do this, post back and let me know.....we can keep it crystal clear on the cheap for the rest of the summer. :D

How would you figure dumping 12-15,000 gallons of water then replacing is the "cheap" alternative? you're talking about wasting 100's of dollars worth of water, plus finding somewhere to dump it without flooding the whole street, then chlorinating it again when the issue can be fixed with less than $5 worth of chemicals?!? I just don't seem to see the logic here!

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”