I know nothing about pool maintenance

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
first_earth
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: 450cm x 900cm x 150cm

Postby first_earth » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 04:54

I live in an apartment block in spain that has a rectangular swimming pool shared between all residents. I know absolutley nothing about swimming pool maintenance but i know that something is not right. It is a relatively small pool 4.5m x 9m and yet the water is very cloudy. when under the water with goggles on i can never see from one end of the pool to the other and on some days you can barely see the bottom (1.5m).
Now i have had a brief look through these forums and saw the post that requested a bunch of chemical stats but i wouldnt know about how to discover those.
Obviously I need to speak to the contractor that is responsible for the maintenance of our pool but what should i be asking?
I thought maybe there should be a chart i can place on the noticeboard that the contractor should fill out the readings taken from the water.
If you could all give me some advice as to how i should be trying to make sure my swimming pool is maintained it would be greatly appreciated.

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:14

first_earth wrote:I live in an apartment block in spain that has a rectangular swimming pool shared between all residents. I know absolutley nothing about swimming pool maintenance but i know that something is not right. It is a relatively small pool 4.5m x 9m and yet the water is very cloudy. when under the water with goggles on i can never see from one end of the pool to the other and on some days you can barely see the bottom (1.5m).
Now i have had a brief look through these forums and saw the post that requested a bunch of chemical stats but i wouldnt know about how to discover those.
Obviously I need to speak to the contractor that is responsible for the maintenance of our pool but what should i be asking?
I thought maybe there should be a chart i can place on the noticeboard that the contractor should fill out the readings taken from the water.
If you could all give me some advice as to how i should be trying to make sure my swimming pool is maintained it would be greatly appreciated.

To start off, an inspector (in the USA) would shut down a commercial pool at such a complex if he/she cannot see the heads of the screws that hold the main drain in the deep end.

To get a pool sample, use a clean bottle or jar (ziplock container works too), at about 1 ft. (18inches) down, on as far from a skimmer and returns (jets) you can be, retrieve the sample. You can take this to any pool store and ask them for a full panel test and see what they say about it. At this point you can take the results to the complex office and tell them they need to fix the issue. If they refuse, you may be able to go to the local government (city/town hall, or look up an inspector) as i'm sure they have similar laws in place regarding the health and safety of citizens.
Florida Pool Tech is a Florida certified service company headquartered in Tampa, Florida employing the best technicians and installers in the industry! Vist us at http://www.floridapooltech.com

Specializing in pool service and pool repair

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”