pool chlorine to store bleach

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
fhorta

Postby fhorta » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 20:20

i have been using leslie's pool chlorine powder and chlorine 3' tabs to sanitize my 20,000 gal inground pool. i have been experiencing some of the negative effects of increase cya due to this products, as i understand from this forums. i want to switch to regular store bleach. i understand most store bleach is 6%. for a pool my size, how would i know how many gallons to throw in that would equate the powder i have been using. or more simply put, how many gallons would i need of the 6% bleach period? i appreciate any help i can get. i just can't afford leslie's anymore. thanks alot.

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 20:53

fhorta wrote:i have been using leslie's pool chlorine powder and chlorine 3' tabs to sanitize my 20,000 gal inground pool. i have been experiencing some of the negative effects of increase cya due to this products, as i understand from this forums. i want to switch to regular store bleach. i understand most store bleach is 6%. for a pool my size, how would i know how many gallons to throw in that would equate the powder i have been using. or more simply put, how many gallons would i need of the 6% bleach period? i appreciate any help i can get. i just can't afford leslie's anymore. thanks alot.

I believe Leslies sells 12% chlorine bleach, weekly, you would add about 1.25 gallons of it, since store bleach is at 6%, you would most likely be using about 2.5 gallons a week. It would actually be less work to use the liquid chlorine from Leslies if you figure the equivalent of getting that same amount of bleach would take 5 gallons @ $0.99/gal. or 2.5 gal. jug @ $4.99 for the same concentration it would take to chlorinate your pool. There really is no cost savings except you have to waste plastic and purchase "more" with the store bought.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 14 Aug, 2010 01:48

As shown here, Leslie's does sell chlorinating liquid, though it's not cheap.

I get 12.5% chlorinating liquid from my local pool store (not Leslie's) not only because it is more concentrated so is less to carry, but they reuse the bottles which is even better than recycling. It's reasonably priced, though at $3 per gallon one can nevertheless sometimes find 6% bleach for less than the $1.11 equivalent for 3/4-gallon (some 6% bleach is $0.99, though not often). I'd rather buy the chlorinating liquid anyway, even if it was more expensive.
fhorta

Postby fhorta » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 13:34

makes sense. i shall go with 12% liquid chloirine. thanks for responses.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”