I have an issue that is kicking my butt. I have an in groun

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
skos
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in ground gunite pool and spa about 4 years old with a Hayward DE (Diatomaceous Earth) filter

Postby skos » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 09:53

I have an issue that is kicking my butt. I have an in ground gunite pool and spa about 4 years old with a Hayward DE (Diatomaceous Earth) filter. This spring we had a lot of storms and tons of leaves went into the pool and then into the skimmer. By the time I caught it, it was so clogged that the main motor was pulling dry. So dry that it melted the motor basket a little and caused the pipes/plumbing attached to the motor to become unsealed. It also took out my backwash seals.

My problem is when the pool motor starts each day the pressure is fine and the spa fountain is correct (about 3 feet of water coming up). In about 5 mins the fountain is only 1 inch up. It appears I have an air leak somewhere?

I have replaced all motor seals, replaced entire backwash assembly. Replaced motor basket cover and seals, motor basket, replaces Hayward DE gasket and drain plug with gasket. I also replumbed the motor to the DE filter.

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 10:37

skos wrote:I have an issue that is kicking my butt. I have an in ground gunite pool and spa about 4 years old with a Hayward DE (Diatomaceous Earth) filter. This spring we had a lot of storms and tons of leaves went into the pool and then into the skimmer. By the time I caught it, it was so clogged that the main motor was pulling dry. So dry that it melted the motor basket a little and caused the pipes/plumbing attached to the motor to become unsealed. It also took out my backwash seals.

My problem is when the pool motor starts each day the pressure is fine and the spa fountain is correct (about 3 feet of water coming up). In about 5 mins the fountain is only 1 inch up. It appears I have an air leak somewhere?

I have replaced all motor seals, replaced entire backwash assembly. Replaced motor basket cover and seals, motor basket, replaces Hayward DE gasket and drain plug with gasket. I also replumbed the motor to the DE filter.

This sounds like you may need to replace the impeller &/or diffuser as they most likely have melted too (usually do when this situation happens).
skos
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in ground gunite pool and spa about 4 years old with a Hayward DE (Diatomaceous Earth) filter

Postby skos » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 14:49

Nope, just pulled the motor and impeller & diffuser are fine along with the seals
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 14:58

Don't have a spa (or experience), but many spas are plumbed with flex PVC and possibly one could be collapsing.
skos
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby skos » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 15:00

how do you find the collapsing hose?

any easy ways?
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 15:04

I just don't have the experience, but first to troubleshoot/isolate, can you set up the valves so just the pool is flowing - and does that setup allow the water to flow normally?
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 15:10

is your motor by chance variable speed or have a built in computer (ie: intellipro, intelliflo, etc...)

Postby Guest » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 19:55

Update
pulled the motor and checked the impeller & diffuser. All are fine along with the seals.
Cleaned the DE filter. Checked all the fittings

I have a little algae so I put in some muratic acid along with some shock.

So far, so good. It has been 3hr and no loss from the spa fountain. Started at ~ 3feet and has stayed there.

I did not put any DE in as I want to see what happens.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 14:19

Pool User wrote:Update
pulled the motor and checked the impeller & diffuser. All are fine along with the seals.
Cleaned the DE filter. Checked all the fittings

I have a little algae so I put in some muratic acid along with some shock.

So far, so good. It has been 3hr and no loss from the spa fountain. Started at ~ 3feet and has stayed there.

I did not put any DE in as I want to see what happens.

When you replaced the D.E. in the filter, did the problem ever come back, or is it resolved?
skos
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby skos » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 16:05

I have not replaced the DE yet.
So far, no issues

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”